A4 Buying Advice & Recommendations

vinesh

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have around 10k to spend on an A4. Is this budget realistic with the following extras -

Leather
Heated Seats
Rear Electric windows
Quattro

Will consider high mile cars.

I like the 2.5tdi, but not sure about the mpg.

Does the 1.9 and 2.5tdi sound different? I have sat in a 1.9tdi, I found it noisy inside the cabin (Diesel Noise).

Thanks

Hi Vinesh....well my 2.5 TDi Quattro Sport Avant does around 36 mpg....mixed motorway & round towns (about 3 pmg less if you leave aircon on)..on a run I have had it up to 45mpg, but then i don't thrash my motors....the 2.5 (180BHP) is fab torquey motor....very relaxing on a motorway for sure. It only sounds like a diesel at tickover (if you have a window open), driving the car you would NEVER know its a diesel and has been much positively commented apon by my petrol head mates.....1st & 2nd gears are a bit lifeless, but get it in 3rd on a motorway slip road...and wow ..its goes brilliantly....you MUST test drive a 2.5 and a 1.9 and make your own mind up.....you will get more MPG out of a 1.9 if thats important to you....and oh yes the 2.5TDi is in a higher (F) road tax bracket.

...there are a lot of people on this site who recommend chipping their diesels.....some seem to get about 170BHP out of a 1.9.....question you have to ask is if its that great why do Audi not do it....personally speaking it must stress the engines/geartrain so be very cautious buying a chipped 1.9......

i was looking for a 2.5 tdi quattro a while back and to be honest 10k will only get you a high mileage one. i found quite a few tdi quattro 1.9,s though which were decently priced. as far as chipping and remaping goes i personally i dont think there,s anything wrong with it but its personal preferance i suppose

My 03 3.0 SE (with 55k FSH) was £10995 back in May - all the toys you mentioned and now lots more. 25mpg if you're lucky....but a whole lotta fun ;)

Good find.

What sort of MPG can I get in a 2.5tdi Quattro?

At the moment I drive a VW Golf 1.6se. I get around 170-180 with £20 fuel (93.9 per litre - petrol). The forecourt sells diesel for 99.9 per litre.

Will the 2.5tdi return the same sort of miles?

I mainly use the car for work. I cover around 600 business miles per month. The driving is mainly on country lanes and motorway.

Figures -

I get 34.9p a mile from work, plus lump sum per month.
I use around £120 worth of fuel per month.

The last thing I want is to get a car then make a loss by using my car for business use. This used to happen with my previous car, but that was a Subaru Impreza!!

should get about the same from a 2.5 tdi 35 to 40 mpg round town and 50 ish on a long run which would work ut better than the golf

Excllent. Will that be the same for the 180bhp Quattro?

jase0851 said:
should get about the same from a 2.5 tdi 35 to 40 mpg round town and 50 ish on a long run which would work ut better than the golf
If you drive like an old woman.

JohnboyC said:
...there are a lot of people on this site who recommend chipping their diesels.....some seem to get about 170BHP out of a 1.9.....question you have to ask is if its that great why do Audi not do it....personally speaking it must stress the engines/geartrain so be very cautious buying a chipped 1.9......
The only problem i see with chipped 1.9's is the clutch if it has an aggressive torque spike.
I had mine chipped for the whole time i owned it,just over a year and it never missed a beat.
The difference is amazing between a standard and chipped tdi.

jase0851 said:
bet its as good if not better than the golf on fuel whichever way u drive it
Maybe a little bit better but not by much.If i was after performance and economy i would get a 1.9 130tdi,performance only a 1.8t.
The 2.5 is very good but its a heavy beast of an engine.

My chipped 2,5TDi quattro Avant Sport 180hp returns average 33mpg, worst 29 best 39 ish. Maybe i drive a little, erm, enthusiastically. The 2wd will do 40+ but you will not get the power down on the road.
My wifes A4 1.9TDi quattro Avant Sport 130hp is chipped too, returns high 30s in constant town use, high 40s mpg as soon as you get out of town. She does tend enjoy the acceleration though hence the figures are a bit lower than possible
You should be buying diesel for much less than 99.9p/litre, there is a website that logs diesel prices called petrolprices.com, shop around.

I'm lucky to get 38mpg out of my 2wd 2.5tdi, but I love driving it. If you want economy get the 1.9,you wont get over 40pg out of the 2.5 IMO

I would like the economy, but I want a powerful car as well. I have looked at the 1.9 Quattro and have it chipped @ Jabba

There are more choices for the 2.5tdi in the term of equipment when compared to the 1.9tdi.

Deisel @ 99.9 is at Shell. Diesel V Power. Will have a look at PetrolPrices.com

vinesh said:
There are more choices for the 2.5tdi in the term of equipment when compared to the 1.9tdi.
Tis true,this is what lets the 1.9 down,especially the diy rear windows.:noway:

I am liking the V-Power diesel very much, shame it wasn't abit cheaper,

I have asked my local ice shop to quote me for retro fitting the rear windows. Quoted £200 inc the motors and switches.

He can fit the switches within the standard door card. For a professional finish I will need new door cards (Rear) and drivers door card.

Is there a wiring loom for rears doors with cars fitted with manual windows?
Also is there a loom to contol the rear windows from the drivers side?

u mean convert manual to electric on the rear windows ? i wouldnt mind doin this myself i already have the looms and doorcards

jase0851 said:
u mean convert manual to electric on the rear windows ? i wouldnt mind doin this myself i already have the looms and doorcards

yep thats to convert manual to electric.

Where did you buy your door cards and looms?

i bought an interior for my other car and it came with doorcards which wernt needed so they are spares ebay is a good place there was a set went for 30 quid last week front and back electric with looms etc

Hey Vinesh.....just wait and buy an A4 with most of the kit you want already installed......just an opinion :lazy:

JohnboyC said:
Hey Vinesh.....just wait and buy an A4 with most of the kit you want already installed......just an opinion :lazy:

I might have to do that. But its the temptation to have a car early because I hate waiting.

Well, i waited months for my Audi 2.5TDi Quattro Sport Quattro, (was originally looking for a 1.9 quattro sport) but I am sooooooo VERY glad I did.....its basically fully loaded with just about every extra you can think of, but I have installed RNS-e & Glovebox CD Changer......plus its a Nov 03 car with 28K on it. So I am WELL pleased with it.

The only slight grumble is even as a 'Sport' it rolls to much, so I wanna beef up the rear anti roll bar...but this can wait until the Audi Warranty has run out me thinks.....

Question to ponder:

Do you really need electric rear windows?

In the last 2 years I can count the number of times I've opened any rear window in 1 hand...

Is the luxury really worth £200 or more?

On a practical note - if you're looking at a high mileage car, make sure it's had the cam belt done....expensive on the 1.9, very expensive on the 2.5....also a good road test and listen for the front suspension knocking - with 4 arms at each side plus anti-roll bar links, replacing these can also run up quite a bill.

Hope you find a good one.

Beef