RNS-e & 6 CD Changer

JohnboyC

Reaction score
Hi All....

In case there are any doubters out there...just installed an RNS-e :hubbahubba: and 6 disk CD changer.....wow what a difference to the cr*p symphony I had before.....

Much better sound through the Bose amp/speaker set up.....the user interface is really good, and it simply looks the dogs dangly bits.....

Now all I need is a CD changer glove box so if anyone out there has a cd changer Glovebox grey interior, which I can fit my glovebox door to, that would be great !

I'd have to agree with you on that one mate, I don't have bose, but did also think the sound quality is much better. Plus it's a nice focal point for the car too, makes a huge difference to the vehicles appearance :)

I fitted the 6 CD glovebox changer, but I don't use it much, I tend to your the SD card slots behind the screen to play MP3's, but it is nice to have the CD changer their just in case as that way you don't have to remove the nav DVD to play a CD.

Cheers,

Rich

JohnboyC said:
Now all I need is a CD changer glove box so if anyone out there has a cd changer Glovebox grey interior, which I can fit my glovebox door to, that would be great !

Or you could do this and spend all of £4 and does the same job!!!

Could I ask you chaps what part number CD changer you used?

mr.brown said:

I can't remember of the top of my head sorry, but I will be getting my car back from the garage today hopefully, so I'll check then for you. Unless someone else beats me to it that is.

If it's any help, the cable I used to go from the RNS-E was 8E0 051 592 B.

Cheers,

Rich

mr.brown said:

Just found the part number, it was 8E0 035 111 D.

Cheers,

Rich

Cheers guys, I got a 111 (no suffix) in the end but all seems to be working OK.

mr.brown said:
Cheers guys, I got a 111 (no suffix) in the end but all seems to be working OK.

Nice one, glad you got one and it's all working ok :)

wallacr said:
Nice one, glad you got one and it's all working ok :)

Ha ha, I thought it was. I finished the install this morning and quickly tested it whilst sitting in the passenger seat with the door open - all 6 cds loaded ok and the RNS recognised them all. Took it for a spin just now and the sound just comes thru the left channels:keule:

Radio and SD all OK. Off to trawl thru navplus forum now....

Thanks for all the replys.....I have checked out the Tractorman link, and yep, it looks a great job thats been done modifying the original glovebox with DIN carrier......the problem I have though is that when I sell my Avant, say in 2.5 years time, I will be buying a B7 3.0TDi Quattro Avant (I like to think ahead - ahem) and the RNS-e and CD changer I have now will be going into that car, and I will refit the Syphoney thats now in my loft back into my 2.5TDi Quattro Sport Avant. When I do that, and If i do the mod suggested by Tractorman I will have a great big hole in the back of my current glovebox.....OR can the CD Changer be hooked up to the symphony somehow to give ne a selection of 12 CD's ??????

Think I will still look for CD Changer Glovebox for the moment.....anyone got one they wanna sell ???????? Let me know.....(must be black outside, grey inside...)

how much did you lot spend ?

am looking to do satnav but i want bluetooth, tv and dvd is this possible ?

and any ideas of what i need and how much it would cost ?

hi rickparmar

Well, I called Audi (Preston) and they told me I need an entire golvebox (including the lid) for the CD Changer. They dont just sell the Glovebox insert, they only sell the entire glovebox, including the lid which they sell for £150, which is outrageous.....so I am now scoring the coutry looking at breakers.....willing to spend £40 tops on it....

oh yeah....my RNS-e (K version) was £400 off fleabay (and it works perfectly), the CD Changer came from a breakers (£50) which also works perfectly. The RNS-e to CD Changer cable - about £20 from Audi Accessories.....if you keep the double DIN symphony like I have, you can put it back in the car when its time to sell it, and either keep or sell the RNS-e & the CD changer back on E-bay....I reckon in 2 years time I will have either fitted the RNS-e to my next Audi A4 (B7) or sell it on e-bay - it should get £200 even then.

I didn't get quite as good a deal as JohnboyC on some of what I bought, but I paid:

RNS-E: About £550
(Including Wiring Harness, removal keys & 2007 Map DVDs)
Double Sin Cage: £30
TV Tuner: £400
Bluetooth Kit: £355
CD Changer: £150
CD Changer Cable: Not sure, but around £20, I think
CD Changer Glovebox: £110

Cheers,

Rich

For me:

£450 for RNS-E ( "D" version) - ebay
£40 for double din - ebay.de
£30 for conversion cable - kufatec.de
£35 for 2007 DVD with TMC (copy) - ebay
£80 for 6 CD changer - ebay

If you're not in a hurry you can get them cheaper off the Lithuanian sellers (check for 100% feedback).

In answer to one of the above questions, the glove box CD changer should work with the Symphony 2 - this is based upon the fact that the oem iPod adapter mimics a 6 CD changer and works with the Symphony 2.

Thanks for the replies,

didnt realise the tv tuner and bluetooth kits are expensive

Without the tv can you still watch dvds ?

Also what does the version mean, eg K D

**beaten to it**

All you need to know about RNS-E and accessories - http://www.navplus.us/forum/index.php - check the first forum listed and the "quicklinks" thread - all about part numbers within.

For the TV/DVD input you can get an adapter and use your own source rather than the oem tuner.

The Bluetooth kit can be had for less if you look around (ebay.de for example) - but yes it is still way more expensive than an aftermarket kit.

OK...did the Tractorman glovebox CD Changer installation

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=36819

.....took about an hour.....cos I was really careful about cutting out the back of the glovebox the CD changer is a dead tight fit.....

Only cost me £4.99 for the plastic under dash DIN housing....

Saved me £150 that.....or £40 to £80 for a 2nd hand one - and it looks great too...

More news about my RNS-e...

Just got a few 2GB SD cards.....fantastic !! Can hold about 18 CD's worth of music on each SD card....bit of a fiddly operator interface to select either SD1 or SD2 cards...sort of thing you have to do when pulled over to the side of the road !

A multifunction steering wheel would be a great complement to the RNS-e but sounds a difficult job to retrofit !

Lastly, I have auto lights on my car, and when I drive into a tunnel, the Xenons automatically come on, and the RNS-e goes into night display mode !

Brilliant bit of kit....!!!! Next step is to get a blutetooth kit hooked up...although I note the Audi Bluetooth kits are mega expensive.....maybe a parrot !

Not bothering with TV, as thats too much ofa distraction ! No iodea why anyone would wanna hook up a playstation either !