My A4/S4 niggles - anyone else suffereing?

jvbates

Reaction score
Website
www.exit7.co.uk
Guys - I've had my 03 B6 avant about 6 months now and there's a couple of small things that niggle me occasionally (Although not enough to spoil my enjoyment of the car!) whilst driving and I just wondered if they were typical of all cars in this model range or peculiarities to just mine...

1. The avant luggage cover
When it's pulled out the luggage cover creaks quite alot. The firm suspention probably doesn't seem to help! The creaking seems to be coming from the end either where it sits in the notches on the side panels or from the rigid bar that spans the width.

2. Air conditioning/Climate control
When the Air con's set to 'LO' it's all lovely and cold but sometimes it gets too cold! But if you turn it up to the next notch (18°) it's far too warm! There's nothing in between! Also, if you set it on auto the fans come on full speed (to obviously cool the cabin!) but never seem to decrease as the overall cabin tempreture drops. I've left it as long as I can stand (having a force 9 gale blowing in your face!) but it never seems to turn the fan speed down.

Anyone else's car have the same peculiarities? Or any helpful suggestions for curing mine?? :icon_thumright:

No.2 is normal by all accounts. I have an 03 saloon and have changed mine to a newer unit which goes down to 16 before hitting Lo. Much, much better.

1. The luggage cover is a waste of time, I sold mine on ebay.
If you pul it shut all it does is encourage thieves to break in t see what your hiding. If you leave it open, then there's no point having it in the car.
2. Yes I have the same problem, it's a design flaw on the controller, I just set mine to lo then adjust it down to 1 or 2 bars on the fan. My B5 climate control works perfectly 18 is too cold and so I usually have it on 19 or 20 and leave it on Auto.