Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Upgrading stock HIDS?

Just a question about the stock HIDs/ Xenons. Is it possible to upgrade them with more powerful ballasts/ brighter bulbs? It's an arms race out there in headlight land and I reckon I could handle something brighter.

Another question, I see some cars now seem to have dual HIDS - so they have Xenons on their main beam too - is this possible on the B6? What's involved?

Anyone done HIDs on their front fogs?!

2. # ADS
    ADS

***** rent boy

Status
    If you have OEM xenons from the factory, then you will have the brightest and most usable light output because the bulbs are usually 4300k. The higher you go up in colour temp (ie 6000k, 8000k) the less light you will get. They may appear brighter, but it is in fact the opposite. I'd stick with 4300k bulbs you have got at the moment.

The dual HID's you mention are bi-xenon, where the xenon bulb is used for main beam and dipped beam. These can be found on certain S4's so you'll have to get the whole new headlight with the larger projector lens. There are cheaper eBay kits available, but these are generally H7/H4, and you will need D1S or D2S. I don't think the bi-xenon feature is really all that worthwhile anyway.

People over in the States have changed over their fogs to xenon's but again this is questionable in terms of functionality in the UK.

1st Gear

Status
    It's just that I remember from my S2 days that someone was talking about uprating the ballasts so that they were higher power - therefore more energy for brighter bulbs, but I've not seen many people talk about those elsewhere.

Good point on the colour temperature - if it goes too blue it looks daft! HID fogs are probably pointless I think you're right - far too much dazzle potential.

So what are the bulb types for the standard Xenon kit? What is the main beam bulb?

1st Gear

Status
    You can install aftermarket 55W ballasts instead of the OEM 35W type, they are much brighter than normal HID's.

There are twin projector headlights out there (not bi-xenon), German ebay or European tuning firms may be a good place to find a set.

1st Gear

Status
    @Inigoj - thanks - I presume that if you install the higher power ballasts you need to change the discharge lamps too, or can they cope ok?

***** rent boy

Status
    Go higher than 35w and you risk this happening to your headlights:

1st Gear

Status
    I am not sure if the standard 35W setup HID bulbs are identical to the 55W setup type.

I cant find much info on it, but i suspect they are the same.

The 55W HID's only draw big current during ignition, they still use less power than a standard halogen headlight bulb, although i suspect they will produce more heat than the halogen.

That is some good burn damage there. lol

Was it a bad contact/short?
    Last edited by inigoj; 30th August 2007 at 18:54.

1st Gear

Status
    I see a BTDT experience with higher output ballasts!