Chris NottEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Safe limit to chip?

Hi,

My Audi 1.8T Ltd Edition (163PS) is due at the end of March and was wondering what is a 'safe' limit to chip to? It is a company car and I could only go to the 163, not the 190, so getting the more powerful car from the start was not an option.

Is 200 BHP realistic?

I am aware that all modification places stresses on the engine but would like to know what you chaps think is a reasonable trade-off?

Many Thanks

a900ss

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

Re: Safe limit to chip?

Safe limit on the 1.8T main block is around 360hp and still a daily driver, and with only the standard turbo around the 250-290hp mark is possible. 200-215hp is the standard chip for the 150-180hp engines and many are running cars with relatively high mileage with no problems.

I'm running an A3T 150hp with an Oettinger chip which is pushing out around the 200hp mark and drive my car spiritedly and am yet to have any problems.

The 1.8T engine is bulletproof and the chip will not adversely affect it. Also remember that the S3 210 & 225 hp and TT 225 are running the same basic engine with mostly external modifications, and again many of these guys have daily runners with around 260-270hp.

So go get yourself a chip.....but think about your warranty first [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

P.S. drop a post on here if you'd like to know of the companies out there that can provide chips for your Audi (Nobody say a word...you knew it was coming!) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

I don't profess to be any kind of expert, but these guys have got a very good reputation http://www.auto-amd.com/a4.asp [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Greytop said:
    I don't profess to be any kind of expert, but these guys have got a very good reputation http://www.auto-amd.com/a4.asp [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No expert maybe but you have your nose pointed in the right direction which is always a good start [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]