Audi Concert System

otis_b

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an A4 with the audi concert system fitted and am cosidering putting in an aftermarket stereo.

The clarity and power of the concert system is great. Will this still be the same if i replace the standard head unit with a high end after market stereo?

Is the concert system basically a speaker upgrade?

Thanks

Otis

Concert is the brandname of the HU, just like Symphony or Delta. It is not anything to do with the overall system. The only upgrade to the stock system is Bose.
They are all basically low end Matsushita (Panasonic) units with an earth shattering 2 x 20w output. The rear/sub amp provides a further 2 x 20w for the rears and 50w for the sub. These are peak figures so RMS will be nearly half that.
Any aftermarket unit will be twice the power at least, but it is advisable to rewire the rear speakers to the new HU to balance the sound.

Thanks for the reply.

What kind of wiring harness do i need to buy to attach my new head unit?

Halfrauds say it needs to be an active harness, is that correct?

Regards

Otis

AndyMac said:
Concert is the brandname of the HU, just like Symphony or Delta. It is not anything to do with the overall system. The only upgrade to the stock system is Bose.
They are all basically low end Matsushita (Panasonic) units with an earth shattering 2 x 20w output. The rear/sub amp provides a further 2 x 20w for the rears and 50w for the sub. These are peak figures so RMS will be nearly half that.
Any aftermarket unit will be twice the power at least, but it is advisable to rewire the rear speakers to the new HU to balance the sound.

Thanks for the reply.

What kind of wiring harness do i need to buy to attach my new head unit?

Halfrauds say it needs to be an active harness, is that correct?

Regards

Otis

There are 2 harness adapters available, either RCA input or speaker input. If you have rear RCA's on the new HU then you need the RCA input adapter.
No RCA's then you need the speaker input adapter.
The adapter is only for the rear speakers and sub. The fronts just plug straight into the new HU.
Either way the rears will be really quiet compared to the fronts.

Hello,

I ordered an harness adapter from my local car audio shop, plugged it all in and theres a slight problem.

The front and rear speakers work but there is no sound from the sub.

When i investigated, the problem became clear. The block that comes out of the wiring loom in the car has about 6 cables going into it. However, the connector on the harness that it goes into only has about 3 cables coming out of it. I can only presume the other cables are for the sub etc.

Heres a pic:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e300/otis_b/IMAGE_00115.jpg

Is there another type of harness adapter available with the Sub woofer wiring on it too or do i need to get my souldering iron out?

Regards

Otis

The sub works off the rear pre-outs same as the rear amp. They share the same feed as well as the same amp, so if the rears are working then the sub has to be as well.
As already mentioned you will have to fade to rear to balance the sound as the new HU will have at least twice the power going to the fronts as the rear/sub amp. On mine I had to fade 80% to rear to get a balanced sound so in the end by passed the Audi amp altogether and fitted a stealth sub with a proper amp.

OK, i have decided to go for an aftermarket sub, amp and head unit.

If i fit this with, am i right in thinking i will have just the 4 standard door speakers + my sub?

Will the standard tweeters work also?

I dont want to go out and put in an new head unit and sub and lost any quality of sound. Dont want to end up with a big bass box!

Regards

Otis

i put a pioneer deh-p9400mp headunit in my car and under andymacs advice i ran wires from the headunit to the connector which plugs into the rear amp so the rears would work instead of an adapter, now all the speakers work apart from the sub which i aint bothered about as i have a 12" rockford sat in my back room ready to go in when i have time. the sound quality is far better than it was

This sounds like a plan!

Im not very good with that kind of thing though....can anyone give me a step by step guide that i can pass to my local auto elec guy?

Regards and thanks in advance.

Otis

you might be waiting a while. That last post is over 3 years old.

ahh i see, it came up in recent posts tho, thats why i didnt even look at the date....weird

The forum got spammed last night by a handbag salesman - hence it appeared in recent posts!

I was wondering why a few old posts popped up with no replys... were they nice handbags ?