Service "spanner" button

dan_b

Reaction score
Website
www.vasarisingers.org
Quick question about the service spanner button on the dash. Does it actually give the "miles until next service" by monitoring oil quality (as on a BMW), or is it purely arbirtrary?

Monitoring oil quality? Sounds like total BMW marketing BS to me.
No it's based on type of driving (town or motorway) but no idea which particular styles are monitored or how.

It would be good to know what this thing actually is checking! The reason for asking is that I checked my oil the other day, and as well as the level being somewhat low, the oil looked a bit gungy for my tastes, but according to the Spanner, I've got another 10,000 miles before my service is due...

That's the beauty of variable servicing, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

There are sensors in the sump to monitor the oil AND it also uses your driving style and length of journeys to give miles to next service.

There was an article in VW Driver about it a few years back.

I switched our 130 PD onto fixed servicing and interestingly the service indicator says 9k to the next service immediately after it's reset. I quizzed the dealership and they said it so you don't forget to get the car serviced. Personally I think it's a ploy to get people into the workshop sooner than they need to as it starts a countdown from 1k before it says the service is due and then says "Service!" in the DIS once the miles reaches 0

if you have a 1.8T change your oil yesterday...

ignore th variable servicing. mines just cost me a grand for a new turbo as the oil pick up pipe blocked.

just google 'audi a4 oil' and see how many hits are forum threads regarding this problem!