Tyre advice

samuelt

Reaction score
In early June I treated my Audi (130 TDI Sport 2WD) and myself (30 and balding) to a set of 18" 15 spoke TT replica wheels and if i say so myself it looks the dogs dangaly bits, anyway back to the point. The wheels came with 235/40/18's made by accelera (budget make), i realy can not fault these tyres in the dry but on a day like today(lots of rain) i seem to get a lot of spin off the lights and when going round a tight bend say a sweeping slip road i can easily make the car drift sidways.

Can anyone tell me if this is an effect caused by the 18's or are the tyres just cr*p in the wet. If so any sudgestions as to what tyres i should use and would i get away with changing the fronts only????

Crap tyres mate. If you don't want to spend a fortune then you can get Goodyear F1's for around £110 each fitted (the correct size is 225/40/18, closer to the original rolling radius). Very good wet or dry and reasonable wear rate. You can get away with just the fronts as they provide at least 70% of the braking and obviously 100% of the drive on 2WD.

I think you are wrong about the 225's, my original tyres were 215/55/16 the closest 18" tyre to them is infact the 235 with a rolling radius of 79.8 against 79.5 (225's are 78.8) and all A4's with factory 18's use 235's they fill the arches better and the side walls do not look to small. 225's are sold with 18" as they keep the package price down.

Any other options than the goodyears? Has any one had any experiance with avon zz3's as my 16's were avon ZR3's and seemed to be good.

The stock tyre on a B6 TDi 130 is actually 205/55/16's always has been always will be.
235's fill the arches better? you're talking about 2mm difference in the profile, so you must have a really keen eye to tell the difference.
225's are sold with 18's because they are the right size i.e. 0.8% off the stock size.

samuelt said:
I think you are wrong about the 225's, my original tyres were 215/55/16 the closest 18" tyre to them is infact the 235 with a rolling radius of 79.8 against 79.5 (225's are 78.8) and all A4's with factory 18's use 235's they fill the arches better and the side walls do not look to small. 225's are sold with 18" as they keep the package price down.

Any other options than the goodyears? Has any one had any experiance with avon zz3's as my 16's were avon ZR3's and seemed to be good.

I'd agree with this. My car has factory 8x18 ET43 Five Arms with 235/40's.

The 225's aren't a factory size on an A4.

The F1's always get a good word from A/S4 owners :thumbsup:

BUB

I'm running Avon ZZ3s on the front at the moment - can't fault them in the dry, seem to give plenty of grip. In the wet they're not too bad although if pushed, they will let the nose run wide. I've Conti Sport Contact 2s on the back and have never had so much as a twitch from them. HTH

Yes, it's the drop off in wet weather performance of Avons that I don't like, which is why I like the F1s so much - put it this way, it's when conditions are bad (wet!) that you want to be able to the most from your tyres...

dan_b said:
Yes, it's the drop off in wet weather performance of Avons that I don't like, which is why I like the F1s so much - put it this way, it's when conditions are bad (wet!) that you want to be able to the most from your tyres...

Completely agree, I won't be replacing the fronts with Avons when they're worn out I know that much.

My 18's are the same as your's and they came with 235/40's. This is what Audi fit as standard. I had a set of conti's on but have recently changed to Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's and they are good in all conditions even when my right foot is a bit heavy. I shopped around for them and managed to find a little garage in Widnes who done them for £130 a corner. Would recommend them.

I have 32-33psi in the fronts and 30-31psi in the rears. Mine are 235's thou. Don't know if that makes any difference.

thanks guys , sounds like the F1's are a good option although i had not thought about the psi i have been running the tyres at. I think it is about 33 so may check and adjust a little lower to see if this helps a little, but to be honest i really think it is the tyres. There seems to be two types of F1 the GS-D3 (strong V groves) and Asymmetric (more standard pattern), which ones are you guys using???

try hancook ventus good price, good in wet and dry and long lasting

I had uniroyal rainsport on my Audi,really good in the dry and ****** fantastic when its wet.

Personally, I thought F1's were terrible/lethal in cold weather and I was very glad to replace them on both our B6 1.9 tdi 130 and my S3.

They're totally out-performed by the bridgestone S03s I once used many times, but they wear out quickly. Currently using Michelins on both cars and although they are more expensive, they are loads better, good grip in wet and dry, no tramlining (like continentals) and aren't slippy as hell on cold days.

It's a personal preference thing, all these F1 devotees must enjoy those loss of traction moments... ;-) I suspect some of the attraction is the price, they're good in the dry and good in warm'n'wet, just after a winter of sliding down wet cold country lanes with my heart in my mouth I was glad to be shot of them.

Avon ZZ3 are very good tyre and pretty cheap too. I paid about £280 for 4 and i'm very impressed. Grippy and road noise is at a minimum.

to b19rak wht size are your wheels? you said you got 4 for £280. I paid £260 for 2 pirelli's and I thought that was cheap! Mine are 235/40 - 18's.