Rear brake light bulb removal! - How to?

FrankG

Reaction score
anyone here know how to access the non driver side rear light cluster on an avant, haven't had time to look myself, just thought I'd see if anyone here has any experience, going to change it tomorrow. Also will I have to plug it in to a diagnostic equipment to get rid of the message on the DIS?
TIA.....

It's pretty easy, but not obvious. On the inside of the boot trim there's a small blanking plate covering a screw hole. Remove that and undo the screw. The screw should hold itself in the hole without falling out and down behind the trim. You then have to lever the back of the light cluster out from the side bodywork, as it is held in by 2 pegs, and then wiggle the whole thing free. I use a a thin strip of metal covered in tape to prise out the back of the cluster (the bit nearest the front of the car) without damaging the paintwork.
Or you could do as Audi suggest and only let an Audi dealer replace the 50p bulb for you for around £20!!!!

the DIS warning cancels itself, no need for VAGCOM.

Erm audi charge £76 for a rear bulb!

Frank its really simple, unless you have no eyes and no hands then you should be alright!

You are joking right?
They charged me £38 once to change a dash bulb (during a service), so I was being conservative as a brake light is slightly less complicated. Unbelievable.

Thanks lads, a piece of cake, very easy to do, took only 5 minutes, daylight robbery if the dealer is charging that much, especially when they don't need to hook up the dianostics. Very impressed the way the DIS informs you which bulb has blow. Agains Ta for the reply's.

Before I attempt this (which does sound relatively easy) just want to check how I ensure the screw doesn't fall down behind the trim. Is it a case on only unscrewing it so far and not removing it? If so, how do you know when you have unscrewed it enough?

No one got any advice on this? I am trying to avoid taking it to the dealer but I figure if I loose the screw it's going to cost me even more.

When I remove my cluster I hold the cluster in one hand undo with the other so you can feel when it becomes free and then gently prize it out evenly, if you lever it out you'll probable damage the corner of the light.

You'll feel the screw clicking against the captive nut once it's free. If you must remove it, a thin nose pliers will do it.

If the leading edge of the light unit won't come free from the car easily, spray some lube in to help the pegs release. They're at 90 degrees to the cluster, and need to come out sideways, if that makes any sense. Go canny, otherwise there's a risk of cracking the cluster. When refitting, get your screwdriver / socket onto the bolt before you push it back into place. This will help stop the wretched thing dropping into the cavity. Fit the trailing edge into place, then push the pegs into their sockets.

If the bolt does decide to make a bid for freedom (and I suspect most of these cars have a pile of suitable bolts lurking in their innards!!) then a suitable replacement was (for me anyway) easy to find in my box of spare nuts and bolts. Can't remember the spec I'm afraid. A tip for replacing if it has been taken completely off the car is to push it thro a short length of 1 cm masking tape, or electrical tape such that the sticky side faces. Now put the screwdriver or socket in place, and bring the tape up the shaft so that the bolt is securely held.

Now you've got the bolt secured on the driver, you can insert it into the access hole and through the bodywork without it falling off the driver. When you've got the thread started, just rip the tape back.

Final tip - go canny with the plastic cover for the access hole in the trim. Again, most cars will have a few in their innards. Both mine have been replaced with a suitable rubber grommet! So, as you can tell, I've learned a few lessons along the way. My old Mondeo didn't require any of this faffing around - a couple of thumb screws and out came the back of the light unit!

At max, this is a 10 min job - and fairly satisfying not to be paying stupid amounts on money to a garage to have it done!

yes I have done this many times but for some reason the screws don't stay captive in the holes anymore and last time one dropped inside the body panels so then I had to remove a lot of trim to dig out the screw but it is usaually an easy job good luck

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think there is anything to stop the bolt coming out ---

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think there is anything to stop the bolt coming out ---
No Mr B there isn't and its a shame no one thought to make the rascal magnetic or make the hole a lot bigger.I find the little plastic cover a real fiddle to position.Its also easy to forget and trap the rubber cover inside