Coilovers installed!

Neil_S

Reaction score
At long last I have completed the coilover install, I thought I'd share a handful of photos of the results. This has been something I have always wanted to do, indeed I have been talking about this for nearly two years!

The install was torture in parts, but the results are worth it :thumb:

A full technical writeup will follow, I'll pop it in the guides section :thumb:

Some befores...

DWCoiloversFinishedBefore1.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedBefore2.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedBefore3.jpg

Some during...

DWCoiloversFinishedDuring1.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedDuring2.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedDuring3.jpg

Some afters... (needs a clean, but that will have to wait!)

DWCoiloversFinishedAfter1.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedAfter2.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedAfter3.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedAfter4.jpg

It's very good indeed, this was SE suspension to KW Variant 2 and it's not all that harsh at all to be honest. You do notice the bumps a little more.

I'm currently using 50% rebound for both the front and rear dampers, will probably stiffen the rears and leave the front at 50%.

I need to give it a blast on some twisties, but all in all, it's excellent, turn in is very sharp.

Looks bang on.
If im right(which i might not be)the lower you go the harder it gets with coilovers.
Put an RS4 RARB with them.

james0808 said:
Looks bang on.
If im right(which i might not be)the lower you go the harder it gets with coilovers.
Put an RS4 RARB with them.

I have the RS4 ARB waiting to be installed, should be this weekend when I get to my parents house and use my dads ramp.

My RARB arrived this morning, and it's being fitted this weekend too. £60 delivered from VAG PArts, can't grumble at that !

Also, cars currently being detailed. Will put up separate post shortly, but the work done so far on the solid black A4 is nothing short of amazing...

I'd have it even lower personally, another 2 centimetres at least. Get the lowers painted and the car will look absolutely mint.

Great work Neil. :thumbsup:

Looks like I'll have to get my V1's fitted ASAP!!

Why did you go for the V2's? I just couldn't see the point of adjustable damping in a road based A4 + Having to remove them to adjust must be a complete pain.

Can you tell me what thread you have showing F&R on the platforms/struts? What arch height or wheel centre to arch are you at too?

Cheers

BUB :beerchug:

bubstar said:
Great work Neil. :thumbsup:

Looks like I'll have to get my V1's fitted ASAP!!

Why did you go for the V2's? I just couldn't see the point of adjustable damping in a road based A4 + Having to remove them to adjust must be a complete pain.

Can you tell me what thread you have showing F&R on the platforms/struts? What arch height or wheel centre to arch are you at too?

Cheers

Your probably right, I went for the V2's though because I thought if the setup didn't feel right at least I could adjust them (although in all likelyhood I probably won't be doing that much adjusting).

The rears are a piece of cake to get out and adjust so will most likely stiffen the rear and keep the front as-is.

Will have to measure the height for you when the car is back for the garage as I can't quite remember.

Going to lower the front down a touch when it settles too

Top!

Did you take the rear arch liners out to change the rears?

:thumbsup:

No rear arch liner removal required, just get a 125mm extension bar and your sorted, as per what I posted on tyresmoke, I now remember that the fronts have 65mm of thread remaining (adjustment range is 50mm to 80mm so middle of the road) and the rears are 13mm from top (adjustment range is 0mm to 25mm).

Neil_S said:
No rear arch liner removal required, just get a 125mm extension bar and your sorted, as per what I posted on tyresmoke, I now remember that the fronts have 65mm of thread remaining (adjustment range is 50mm to 80mm so middle of the road) and the rears are 13mm from top (adjustment range is 0mm to 25mm).

FYI 60-90mm on the Quattro models :thumbsup:

golf said:
I'd have it even lower personally, another 2 centimetres at least. Get the lowers painted and the car will look absolutely mint.

yeah, you do need your lowers done....you know you want to...heres a pic to tempt you...

colourcodedig8.jpg

My V1's now fitted!! :)

Wow! They are fantastic! The damping is so much better than the Quattro GmbH (1BV) suspension. If anything the car rides BETTER now than it did before, plus I can set the ride height where I want it.

I was a bit more conservative with my height settings though - 20mm rear & 80mm front. I was hoping this would equate to a 10-15mm rear drop and a 20mm front drop (from my GmbH) but it seems the GmbH suspension was lower than I gave it credit! The rear is about the same and only a slight drop on the front. I looks like I'm going to skin a knuckle or ten in the next week or two....... :crying:

Neil, thanks for taking the time for doing the guide it saved me a lot of head scratching for sure!!

I'll just wait a couple of weeks now and get a full 4x4 geo' after I've got the height I'm after.

Great stuff Bub! I'm pretty happy with mine too, going round bends at speeds you thought were not possible is a bit of a thrill!

I need to pick your brains on S4 brakes soon, I'll post up a thread later.

It must've been a real shock to you, I'm impressed and I had GmbH suspension!!!

BUB :)