Xenon washers not popping up!

bikefright

Reaction score
Front and rear screen washers/motors working fine.

When the headlamps are on, the pop-up's neither pop up nor spray.

I can't find the relevant fuse in the side of the dash (using the ident. chart in the removable panel or in the handbook).

Any ideas what could cause this?

Motor/pump failure?
TIA,
R.

Definitely either the pump, or the hose leading to the headlight washers has come off/got blocked. No electrical connections to the washers, they're driven off the pressure of the water being pumped to them. Thats why one pops out slightly before the other.:icon_thumright:

Cheers mjsewell,

I've had the pop-ups out before (with the help of my nipper at the wheel!!) by removing the clip whilst they're extended, so I guessed how they work...very clever Audi :) I just wondered if there might be a separate fuse for the pump for the headlight washers...If not it's more than likely a failed pump :-(

BTW, have you seen how far up in the air the water squirts when you've got one or tother of the jets off!!!! Bu**er me!?!

More money wahaha....

sorry to hi-jack the thread but i have the same problem with mine,

i have no power going to the sensor or the pump when the ignition is on and lights, do they only get power when u use them of if the pump has failed would that cause the lack of power, thet dont move or spray

is ther anyway to test the pump?

getting sick of th beep from myu dash so determined to fix it with your help foaks!!

thanks

Just retrofitted washers over the weekend as part of a new S-line front end.
Did not have the washers before but now I do!

Electrical - +12v comes via fuse S237 (i.e. Large Fuse #37 - should be 30A - mine was originally 20A - my circuit diagrams say this was changed from 25A to 30A at some time during production). This fuse supplies both Windscreen and Headlight washers, so if windscreen motor works, fuse should be OK.

Headlight washers spray for about 2 seconds and then stop when you do a screen wash with the dipped lights on. (+12v comes out of power control module, located under fuse box, Pin 6 connector T10b-Pin 2 (Black 10-pin connector - red/white wire) - use a test light to ground to check this signal. The wire goes to the n/s A-pillar connection panel to connector T1a (1-pin black connector) - and then through the bulkhead in the wheel arch to the pump. The ground for the pump should also be on the A-pillar ground point - brown wire.

Headlight washer pump is a high pressure pump - remove the n/s headlight and you will get access to both windscreen (Left) and headlight pumps (Right). Check the connections - Headlight Washer Connector Pin 1=0v, Pin 2=+12v when on for ~ 2 secs. Use a 12v test light to check that power is getting to the pump.

Replacement headlight washer pump Part No. 3B7 955 681 and are £38.21 + VAT

Wet Bit - Pumps can be pulled out from sealing gaskets. For headlight washer pump section, high pressure black hose follows the inside of the bumper - there should be a quick release c-clip on each elbow connector - pull the c-clip off and this allows you to detach the mating hose part. The first headlight washer (n/s) is fed via a T connector.

Washers also work best if there is also water in the washer bottle!!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
As the headlight washer uses a seperate pump system anyway but of the main washer bottle then it could very well be the headlight washer pump thats failed, but check the wiring 1st to make sure its not just corroded or loose, cause they dont fail very often tbh given what they do, not used very much so should last for life of car tbh, my S3 one I had for 7 years never caused issues for me.

If the pumps gone then yes the washers will loose all pressure to work as already stated its pressure based not electricity based, the pump builds the water pressure to force them to lift.

Check down in the engine bay where the water bottle is & then operate the washer system with lights on & see if its leaking water out as it could be a seal has gone aswell, just another idea.