Transmission problem with A4 multitronic

Chunkymonkey

Reaction score
Good people of audi-spoty.net, I think I've got a problem....

I have an 03 plate A4 2.0FSI multitronic avant with 73,000 miles on the clock, which I have had for the last 3 years. I am therefore used to the slightly annoying lack of response, or too much response, that you can get from the multitronic.

However...

Over the last couple of weeks it has started developing a really annoying shudder when accelerating off from 1st gear. When you put your foot down, slight increase in speed and then judder, judder, judder, into second and all is OK). Sometimes it does it, sometimes it does n't. Sometimes it's a minor delay in the power kicking in, sometimes it's a noticeable engagement into 2nd gear (think of South London mini-cabs). The car primarily does motorway driving and is otherwise top notch (for an Avant). The ECU was replaced in December as it died (would n't select reverse).

Does anyone have any clues as to the cause (before I subject myself to the £95 an hour of Audi main dealership)?

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Regards

hey dude
i had a simular problem when i first got my car 2 yrs ago, turned out to be the engine mount, easy fix, i did have to give it to the dealer to find out the problem tho!

Judging from your symptoms it could be the Transmission Control Module. It's quite a big job, if that's the case. Or you could learn to live with it.

Thanks all for the advice.

Jeff - I have n't tried cleaning the torque sensors on the front wheels. What do they do, where are they and how do you cleaning them? I've had the wheel off and, looking at it from the drivers side, I've got a cable going to the left (behind the pads) and one going to the front (which appears to be held in with a hexagonal bolt (albeit like one that you unscrew with an allen(?) key rather than a socket set).

The advice from Audi on Saturday was change my gearbox oil....I'm looking to book it in later in the week (as it's only a couple of thousand away from needing it) and I'd be keen to try this (as a knackered transmission control module

Thanks

John

Chunkymonkey said:
Jeff - I have n't tried cleaning the torque sensors on the front wheels. What do they do, where are they and how do you cleaning them? I've had the wheel off and, looking at it from the drivers side, I've got a cable going to the left (behind the pads) and one going to the front (which appears to be held in with a hexagonal bolt (albeit like one that you unscrew with an allen(?) key rather than a socket set).

Thanks

John
That's them. If you unscrew them, they slide out & you should then give then a good clean & refit. If a fumble-fingered idiot like me can do it, anyone can!

What I did was clean the sensor with white spirit to remove the rather waxy whitish/grey residue, then did the same on the inside of the cylindrical housing that it sits in.

Once the white spirit had evaporated, I gave the sensor a wipe over with a very small amount of WD40, eased it back into place & re-tightened the retaining bolt.

But a change of oil may help too. Multitronics need an oil change overy 40,000 miles, without fail.

Thanks Jeff. Just to be clear - the sensors are at the front (i.e held in with the bolt needing the allen(?) key to remove them).

Ok, I admit it. I don't know why or how it works, but it worked (or at least it's 90% better - no judder, no hesitation, but still have the obvious gear change which I know the oil change will fix).

Pulled the sensor out, cleared off all the crap from the sensor (which I assume is the metal "I" in the "O") and refitted. I did n't have any grease, etc to reseal but I covered the re-fixed casing in WD40 to keep the water out.

Top tip Jeff - please accept my genuine thanks.

Just a quick update....

The cleaning of the wheel speed sensors did indeed reduce quite a bit of the judder.. however, within two weeks I was back to square one. I took the car down to Warrington Audi for an oil change, and ask them to check out the gearbox. I got a call from the nice lady on reception "you need a new gear box, do you still want the oild changed". Disgruntled, I cancelled the oil change and went to collect the car. Had a chat to the technician and the the situation was explained as thus: either live with the judder, or get a new gear box; he explained that the Audi gearboxes aint cheapo (nice chains) and thus aint going to go bust; at worst it's going to get a bit annoying, etc. Reassured, that I was n't going to have to spend north of £2K on a new gearbox, but miserable that the old teeth fillings were going to rattle every time I pulled away, I decided to have the oil changed anyway at 78,000 to make sure I had a bit of recourse to Audi UK if it all went Pete Tong (yep, I spent all day sat behind a desk waiting to sue or be sued).

What a difference!!!! Shudder / judder - barely noticeable. To put this in context - when I got the gearbox sorted at +40K it was noticeable, just. At 78K a BIG difference.

In short, and I admit I have seen it written many a time on this forum, but get the gearbox oil changed. It makes a huge difference. Sorry, let me reiterate - A HUGE DIFFERENCE!

To this day, I don't know how a bit of oil can make such a difference (it's oil at the end of the day). If I am honest there's this physics dude inside me trying to work out how the viscosity of something like oil can improve the transmission of torque so effectively but it does......

Happy driving chaps!

hello mate
glad to hear you got it sorted i did forget too say i also had my gearbox oil changed while the car was in which did make a big difference with the cars drive!!! audi dont seem to change this oil unless you ask for it? very strange?

at first they did say i also needed a new gearbox, but the mount was faulty also, i did the cheapest things first, oil and mount, hey presto, fixed.

the engineer i spoke to did say the multitronics suffers from juddering, between certain years? and they only fit recon units, which only cost £900+vat....thats a jaw dropping £1000 labour!!!!

any way good to hear its sorted!

Hi Chunkymonkey,

I have just joined this forum after seeing your issue and fixes you have tried. As this was a couple of years ago do you mind letting me know if you’re cleaning of speed sensors and gearbox oil change finally solve your problem? Have you still got the car?
As you might realise that I have “exactly” the same problem as yourself and I have a 2005 Audi A4 Saloon Automatic 1.9TDi. I am about to get hit by a big bill of possible ECU change and would appreciate to know if it was the speed sensor + oil change that helped you.

Thanks in advance