How many gears in a 1.9 Tdi (130)?

Issac Hunt

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
looking at a B6 A4, 03/53 reg. Some seem to be advertised with 5 speed and some with 6. Anyone know when the change was made from 5 to 6? I am looking at non-quattro version if that makes any difference?

Many Thanks....

It is 6 speed if it is the sport model. that also comes with electric lumber support. I have a 01 5 speed but my brother from another mother has a 03 with 6 speed. If its 6 speed its a 130 Sport. You can get 5 speed in the 03 also.

doogleman said:
It is 6 speed if it is the sport model. that also comes with electric lumber support. I have a 01 5 speed but my brother from another mother has a 03 with 6 speed. If its 6 speed its a 130 Sport. You can get 5 speed in the 03 also.

I don't think trim level makes any difference. They changed to 6 speed when the engine went from 210lbft to 228lbft as I believe the 5 speed couldn't handle the extra torque.

There are plenty of 5 speed remapped 130's with loads more torque than that.

james0808 said:
There are plenty of 5 speed remapped 130's with loads more torque than that.

What does that prove? For all you know, those gearboxes lives may be significantly shortened by the remap.

I doubt it somehow, tolerances are quite huge in these kind of things. Mines an 03 and 5-speed by the way.

Personally I think they changed it to keep up with competition!

Macduff said:
What does that prove? For all you know, those gearboxes lives may be significantly shortened by the remap.
It proves that the gearboxes can handle loads more torque than 228lbft.Do a search to see how many gearboxes have packed in after a remap.:think:

The ratios are closer on a 6 speed box making it feel abit livelier and possibly more economical.
Also as Nelson 15 said keeping up with the competition.

Macduff said:
They changed to 6 speed when the engine went from 210lbft to 228lbft as I believe the 5 speed couldn't handle the extra torque.

Do you actually think that Audi would put a gearbox in any car that was within 18lbft of its maximum tolerance???

james0808 said:
Do you actually think that Audi would put a gearbox in any car that was within 18lbft of its maximum tolerance???

No, of course not but I believe the max torque that the 6-speed can handle is quite a bit higher than the 5-speed.

however looking at it another way, I doubt Audi would put a 'box in that could handle say 50% more torque than was being produced. I might expect the 'box to be able to handle say 25% more without problems

02 sport 5 gears, IIRC wierd thing is according to parkers the mpg is worse for the 6 speed!
I never feel like i'm lacking a gear, there's enough town shifting as it is.

chas

52 Plate TDI Quattro Sport 6 speed!

So, are we concluding that a 6-speed box was an optional extra on certain models, in certain years?

All the quattro's were 6 speed then I think they uplifted the 2WD's at around late 02. Don't think it was ever available as an option. They did the same with the A3 1.8TQ, I think they call it a midlife kicker.