How easy to change rear discs & pads on 02 1.9TDi?

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Fancy doing this myself, is there anything anyone recommends before I commit?

I tried this last year (01 1.9 TDi - B6) and only did the pads in the end as I couldn't get the rear disc to move at all.

I'm going to revisit this very shortly with a rubber mallet and should be able to free the disc. At the time I thought that maybe I had one of those old style rear discs with the integrated bearing, but the manual reveals this couldn't be possible on the B6, so I think it's probably rusted to the hub and needs some force.

You will need a wind back tool for the caliper, it slots into the piston and it turns it back (hence a G clamp won't work).

I bought a suitable tool for about £40.

Other than that fairly straight forward. Make sure you have some replacement bolts (I can get you the part numbers if you need them) and IIRC you need 13mm and 15mm spanners for the calipers.

So once the caliper is off, how is the disc attached, is it just a friction fit?

AndyMac said:
So once the caliper is off, how is the disc attached, is it just a friction fit?

Yes I believe so, mine didn't move a muscle though so I presume it's rusted to the hub. It should just slide off. They used to have a retaining screw but that is not present on mine.

Andy I'm sure a man of your calibre will have no problems with rear discs and pads!

I painted the calipers on my car last month and dissembled the rears to do a proper job.

It was an absolute doddle.

You need 13mm & 15mm spanners to remove the calliper from its carrier. Then the disc is just mounted onto the hub. Mine don’t have any fixing screws. The discs were drilled for them but the hub wasn’t. I didn’t need to remove the carrier to remove the disc, it just pulls off and clears the carrier(unlike the fronts).

As I wasn’t changing the pads I didn’t really need to wind the pistons back but it made reassembly easier. I just used some long nose Vice Grips in the piston cut outs and carefully wound them in. I didn’t cause any damage to the pistons and had no issues at all.

I’ve since bought one of those cubes that you can use with a 3/8 ratchet. It was only a fiver and TBH all a keen DIY’er will ever need.

Rear_Hub.sized.jpg

I gave the discs a paint up too...............
Rear_Calipers.sized.jpg

HTH

BUB :thumbsup:

Thanks BUB those pictures paint a 1000 words etc.
Really useful.
The last discs I ever changed were on my Mk1 Golf GTi which was a while back, so needed a bit of reassurance.
Did you get yours from Audi as they seem to have the 4 rings stamped on them? My current ones are VW. How much were they as GSF do them for £22 each.

My rear discs look slightly different to Bubs, in addition to the holes for the wheel bolts, I have 5 additional holes which are indented by about 3cm into the disc.

If your after a rear disc set then GSF will be able to sort you out some brembo discs which I've got on the front and have been absolutely fine.

i get all my brake parts from vag-parts last time it was £200 for discs and pads all round and new rear bearings

Just picked up new Brembo discs and Pagid pads from GSF for £60.
Hopefully get it done tommorrow.

AndyMac said:
Thanks BUB those pictures paint a 1000 words etc.
Really useful.

Glad to be of assistance Andy + Any excuse for some pic whoring!! :laugh:

BUB :sign_plug:

Job done, took me 2 hours, but part of that was searching for an 8mm Allen key in order to get the caliper forks off.
So tools needed:
Piston wind back tool - "Laser" £16 from GSF
13mm & 15mm spanners
8mm Allen key (I used the wheel brace handle as an extension for leverage).
Plus Brembo Discs & Pagid pads - £60 from GSF

Very satisfying and about £120 saving and the hassle of dropping the car off & picking it up again.
Thanks for everyones help.

So you had to take the caliper carriers off?

Strange, as you can see in my pics I didn't!

Nice one Andy, picked up the parts from GSF today so going to revisit this soon.

Did your brake disc come out alright? I have a rubber mallet for mine now.

Disc came off without any persuasion at all.
Bub, I had to take the forks off as even the old disc wouldn't wiggle round them, let alone the fatter new one. No idea how you managed it. I just assumed you took them off to paint them?

TBH when I started the job I was going to take the carriers off.

But the 8mm allen bolts were fecking tight I gave up! I just couldn't budge them and the top right one had started to round slightly (using a Snap-On socket I might add)

So I thought 'Ah well I'll just struggle on with it all in place'. Then I looked again and thought that the disc might clear the carrier, gave it a tug and sure enough no problem at all. I thought result! Then I didn't give it any more thought. I painted the carrier and disc then just placed the disc back on the hub, (not a tight squeeze) with no damage to the fresh paint.

BUB :thumbsup:

Phew, well that is a relief, just got my rear brakes done now and thankfully the hub is separate to the brake disc. It was rusted solid though so plenty of penetrative fluid and twatting with a rubber mallet was required to shift it.

I got the rear carriers off the near side easily enough, but the offside was a nightmare, spent 2 hours trying to get the bottom bolt off before I gave up. I actually invented new swear words in the process!

Because I could get the top bolt out I twatted the carrier to give me access to remove the disc.

bubstar said:

I gave the discs a paint up too...............

**** me :hubbahubba: - it's clean under there! Did you get some AutoGlym SRP on the disc dust shields?? :)

BTW, what paint did you use?

Yes, must admit that photo looked nothing like mine. I was too embarrassed to take pictures.

AndyMac said:
Yes, must admit that photo looked nothing like mine. I was too embarrassed to take pictures.

Yep mine was well in need of some TLC, going to give that a go next week if the weather behaves.

Thanks chaps! :laugh:

FYI - I used Turtle Wax Nano-Tech wax for wheels on the disc guards,suspension and calipers etc

FG5593.gif

Really good stuff IMO. Seems to leave a nice dirt resistant coating.

The calipers were done in Folia-Tec caliper paint (2 pack). I was very impressed with this paint. Very high solids, smooth, great gloss and dries rock hard. It seems very, very durable. If you buy some, only mix half at a time because it starts to go off within an hour and will make doing all four wheels a rush job.

BUB :beerchug:

I think I shall invest in that caliper paint, used hammerite on mine last year and to be honest it has lasted very well, but I fancy trying this next time as yours look excellent.

I assume it's a single coat application?

I gave mine two coats. The second coat goes on really well and dries really smooth.

It's all in the prep' though, just make sure you give them a good going over with a wire brush and emery paper.

BUB

bubstar said:
I gave mine two coats. The second coat goes on really well and dries really smooth.

It's all in the prep' though, just make sure you give them a good going over with a wire brush and emery paper.

BUB

Absolutely, I did the same last year, wire brush attachment with a drill works extremely well!