Some sort of leak

b19rak

Reaction score
I've noticed my 54'reg 1.9tdi multi sport is leaking. Its not exactly oil as it doesn't look black but more like oily water if that makes sense. It looks transparent but with an oily film. Any ideas what this could be? All my levels look fine.

Its not coming from near the front of the car, i would say behind the front wheels. I can't get underneath the car as i don't have axle stands or anything so was wondering if you had any ideas.

My worst case scenario would be a leak from the multi box but im sure that oil would be dark.

How far behind the wheels? Could it be power-steering fluid or even coolant? Is it centre of the car (when looking at it head-on, rather than in profile) or closer to the left or right?

also, if it is the coolant it might look like it is coming from behind the wheels, but it might be coming from the front and running back along the underpanelling. Thats what I reckon anyway. :shrug:

Thanks i'll do some more investigating when the sodding rain stops. I've got a few months left on my Audi warranty is it worth taking for a warranty claim or will they tell me to pay up. I've got an indy around the corner that could do the job too.

b19rak said:
I've got a few months left on my Audi warranty is it worth taking for a warranty claim
No harm, or more specifically cost, in asking even if it does turn out to be something not covered by the warranty... though I can't imagine that if you have a leaking pipe somewhere it wouldn't be covered by the warranty.

Mine was leaking in center and it turned out to be the water pump!!

mines looseing coolant at the moment, its in with audi at the mo and the've put it down the the coolant flange at the back of the engine quite a common fault, you should check yours!

Update: Audi told me to call out Roadside which i did. He said it was aircon condensation but..... it was mixing with oil dripping off the Multitronic gearbox sump. Took it to Stealer in Coventry and they stuck it on the ramps. Came back and said it was a leaking gearbox diff seal which is covered under warranty. Phew!!! Going back in two weeks to get it done. They said its fine to use.

Anyway, i'm due a service in 1k so i think i will let them do that too as i should still have 1 month warranty remaining. Hopefully i they find any probs it will be covered.

Right, Coventry Audi changed the seal and gave the gearbox an oil change (nice of them under warranty). The next day i get some whirring noise from the gearbox and stop at the roadside and call Audi assist. Engineer attends, take him for a test drive and he recommends i take it straight back which i did this morning.
They have now diagnosed a the valve control needs replacing (£1800 job according to other forums i've visited) or a new gearbox. Hopefully the latter, Audi are making the decision and sending whatever parts to them tomorrow.
All i can say i'm glad this has happened before my warranty runs out in September!!

Update - After telling me it was a valve control unit they also said it would maybe be a new gearbox. They then changed their minds completely and then said just some bearings needed replacing.
I called Friday as it had been with them for 10 days and got the the old "I was just about to call you.....". Audi have now told the dealership to replace the gearbox completely. It should be done on Monday.

It will be a new 7 clutch plate box. My question is, are these alot more reliable then then the 6 plate boxes? My warranty finishes in September and i don't know whether to get rid or keep it and take out a Warranty Direct policy quoted at £310 for full cover.

Hi I know nothing about the geerbox but TAKE THE WARRANTY i use warranty direct and although i have not claimed in the 15 months i have owned the Audi i did claim on my BMW just before i sold it and they paid out for new rear springs as they had broken. £310 is nothing in terms of fixing a car, also £310 is nothing compared to asking for a warranty on some other cars!

samuelt said:
Hi I know nothing about the geerbox but TAKE THE WARRANTY i use warranty direct and although i have not claimed in the 15 months i have owned the Audi i did claim on my BMW just before i sold it and they paid out for new rear springs as they had broken. £310 is nothing in terms of fixing a car, also £310 is nothing compared to asking for a warranty on some other cars!

Would you reccomend them then?

yes i wood, anyone had any bad experiances with them?