Shafted The Bonnet-Catch/cable!!!

JGrant1285

Sir Scouser Benitez
Reaction score
Website
www.allhiphop.com
Right, ive just realised something....

My bonnent wasn't sitting flush with the wings (height difference). When i was cleaning my car, my dads mate was here, i was buzy, and when i walked near him he said "Ive adjusted your bonnet for you". Now at the time i thought it was all well and good, until today, ive come to check the oil (manually) and top up my washer-bottle. Went to open the bonnet and i could tell straight away the there was something wrong.The level to life the bonnet was moving, it was flexing, but i could tell that the cable itself wasn't moving. I ended up pulling the level, and the level broke, where the ball of the cable sits in. Obviously the bonnet cable has been stretched, something's deffo not right.

Ive had the pliars on the cable, ive used molegrips and its not even moving.

Has anybody else ever come across this?

Like i've already mentioned, i'm off to Jabbasport next Friday, then over to Milton Keynes on the way home, got about a 500mile trip. And of course i'm going to want to check the oil/water/washer etc before i go.

Has anybody any ideas?

****IM FECKED OFF*****

I had a Problem with mine a while back, It stretched and it wasnt opening, not even entertaining the catch, Only way in was from underneath. Involved removing some plastic etc so the mechanic could get his hand up there to pull the cable from close range. I know its not exactly great advice but im just basically saying it might be a case of taking it to your garage and getting them to fiddly with it.

Apparently it took them over an hr to get mine open, then they had to loosen the hinge and move it a little aswell as giving it some fine Lubrication.

Previous to that I tries it myself and I was on it for 2 hrs with Feck all joy.

So you can get to it from underneath?? Any idea how much it would be for a replacement cable (this ones f*cked i think).

Argh, i really don't need this sh1t now!!

Yes they got to mine via underneath at the front of the Rad. Like I say, its fiddly because I attemtped it but though feck that.

Not sure how much a cable is mate. Best ringing Audi.

I take it the bonnet was sitting lower than the wings?

If that was the case, and the "adjustment" has now pushed the bonnet upwards, then an additional strain has been placed on the actual bonnet catch on the slam panel - and your subsequent kack-handedness has over-strained the bonnet release linkage.

The best way to resolve this is with a helper. One person needs to press downwards, with a gentle bouncing action, on the leading edge of the bonnet, directly above the bonnet catch, whilst the other person pulls the remains of the bonnet release cable. With a bit of luck, the bonnet should release.

When it does release, you will need to adjust the bonnet catch (and also knee your dads mate in the knackers :faint: ).

Teutonic_Tamer said:
I take it the bonnet was sitting lower than the wings?

If that was the case, and the "adjustment" has now pushed the bonnet upwards, then an additional strain has been placed on the actual bonnet catch on the slam panel - and your subsequent kack-handedness has over-strained the bonnet release linkage.

The best way to resolve this is with a helper. One person needs to press downwards, with a gentle bouncing action, on the leading edge of the bonnet, directly above the bonnet catch, whilst the other person pulls the remains of the bonnet release cable. With a bit of luck, the bonnet should release.

When it does release, you will need to adjust the bonnet catch (and also knee your dads mate in the knackers :faint: ).

Dont you think having all them motors is a little greedy....:faint:

oh and yes thats one to try with the bouncing technique, Just dont be heavy handed like me and actually dent the bonnet, Its not major noticable but if I stand in the right position, I can actually see my Palm marks!!

J7USS said:
Dont you think having all them motors is a little greedy....:faint:

:ermm: :noway: No, why?

One for me, one for SWMBO, and the two-wheeled toy! :eyebrows:

:readit: The S4 has gone! :tumble: :nyah:

J7USS said:
oh and yes thats one to try with the bouncing technique, Just dont be heavy handed like me and actually dent the bonnet, Its not major noticable but if I stand in the right position, I can actually see my Palm marks!!

Silly sod!

Perhaps I should underline the "gentle" bit above ^^^ ??

nice 1 fellas, i'm going to have to try it again. allthough i have already tried getting the missus to 'bounce' on it slightly whilst pulling the cable (mmmmmmm yes please), which ddnt do much. I cant believe how much tension is actually in the cable!!

I'm going to ring Audi i think and price up a new handle & a cable. I bet the cable is a pain in the @rse to fit!!

Just ordered the new bonnet handle from Audi, they've ordered it in 2mw. £3.99 incl. VAT, not bad, i was expecting more.

Spoke to Jabbasport too, they said taht they're going to NEED the bonnet up for the custom remap for the circulation. Looks like i'm going to have to get my finger out tonight and have a fiddle...fingers crossed...but me old man's confident that he'll get the fecker open.

Firstly, I forgot to mention this - I doubt the bonnet release cable has stretched at all. Steel Bowden cables usually seize in the inner housing, or somtimes snap a single strand (which can also feel like it is jambed in just one direction), or extremely rarely, the end nipple can snap off. I bet your cable is just fine, and that you just broke the interior bonnet release handle.

Regarding the "bouncing" on the bonnet - apply the pressure at the curve, near to the grill, as this is a strong point. If you apply the pressure three or four inches (or more) to the rear, the bonnet is weaker, and will dent from even moderate pressure.

The knack to this is to get some mole grips firmly clamped on the cable, but ONLY pull on the cable AFTER the 2nd person has applied the downward pressure on the bonnet. I have never been unable to release a jambed bonnet using this method - it just takes a bit of practice and persiverance to get the technique right.

...I used the strongest Part of the bonnet too.....but still managed to put my signature on it!!:aggressive:....

Yes I agree, Doubt the cable has stretched at all.
Hope you get it open mate, Keep us posted!!:icon_thumright:

GRRRRRRRRRRREAT SUCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and me old man got it open last night!!

He used molegrips on the cable and i applied the pressure. No dents or handprints. Also, we noticed that the bonnet was getting harder to open when the bonnet was higher (raised up on the rubber adjusters). So we whipped off the catch (the part thats attatched to the bonnet) and put 2 washers underneath each bolt. The bonnet now shuts perfectly,lines up and opens with ease, especailly with the modified tyre level that my dad made to open the bonnet for now (until i get the replacement handle).

Cheers for the advice peeps....roll on Jabbasport on friday!!

JGrant1285 said:
GRRRRRRRRRRREAT SUCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and me old man got it open last night!!

He used molegrips on the cable and i applied the pressure. No dents or handprints. Also, we noticed that the bonnet was getting harder to open when the bonnet was higher (raised up on the rubber adjusters). So we whipped off the catch (the part thats attatched to the bonnet) and put 2 washers underneath each bolt. The bonnet now shuts perfectly,lines up and opens with ease, especailly with the modified tyre level that my dad made to open the bonnet for now (until i get the replacement handle).

Cheers for the advice peeps

Cool - thanks for the update.

BTW, if you found any of my posts useful, would you mind clicking on the little "Thanks" button on any of the relevent posts? TA