Light front end

jibbajabba

Reaction score
Anyone experience a light front end on theior a4 1.9tdi at speed?

Around the 75-80mph mark, my car is very 'floaty' sometimes, and the wind, nah, a breeze might only be about, heavy winds and I am pulling back.

You shouldnt have a light front end with an oil burner under the bonnet, unless your sporting a Scooby spoiler on the boot?! Check the tyres & pressures all round, what age is the car, possibly shock absorber/steering rack wear giving a floaty feeling are often found to be the cause.

It's a 2002, as for tyre pressures I keep the front at 36psi and the rears at 34psi. It's running on standard 16" rims

I do have various other issues regarding a knocking steering wheel at speed and in slow corners...etc

So you think it could be all related to the steering?

Are there any home tests I can do to check the shocks/steering?

I f I bring it to a dealre here in ROI, they will take it for a day, 'examine' it, tell me nothings wrong and charge me a coupld of hundred.

Would rather have some evidence and go to an independant or possibly have a go myself?

With a low speed steering knock its sounding more like a steering/suspension issue. Simple test is to jack the whole front of the car up so both wheels off the ground (either use 2 jacks or find a suitable strong point on the front x-member and use a trolley jack) and wiggle both the wheels about quite roughly - this will test for any play in the joints/steering rack, if it moves/grinds/clanks etc then there's something a problem. Another test on the dampers is just to just push down hard on the front corners, the car should just recoil back to normal height, any bounce/groaning noises & you've got shot shock absorbers. Either way, i'd get it looked at v.soon if I were you.

Thanks for that.
Will try out your suggestions at home and see what that gives me and then get it looked at if needs be.
If I need anything changing I might be best upgrading the suspension as a whole I guess rather than putting a new part into a group of old ones?
Doing nearly 700 miles a week so can't be ignored I suppose!

If it is the suspension then yes i'd change the whole lot, if its just 1 damper thats gone now, another may go in a few months and your back with the problem. Have a play this weekend if I were you, that much mileage will exaserbate the problem v.quickly!