Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications

Thread: Light front end

Neutral

Status

Light front end

Anyone experience a light front end on theior a4 1.9tdi at speed?

Around the 75-80mph mark, my car is very 'floaty' sometimes, and the wind, nah, a breeze might only be about, heavy winds and I am pulling back.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Status
    You shouldnt have a light front end with an oil burner under the bonnet, unless your sporting a Scooby spoiler on the boot?! Check the tyres & pressures all round, what age is the car, possibly shock absorber/steering rack wear giving a floaty feeling are often found to be the cause.
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

Current road going missile.....

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

Neutral

Status
    It's a 2002, as for tyre pressures I keep the front at 36psi and the rears at 34psi. It's running on standard 16" rims

I do have various other issues regarding a knocking steering wheel at speed and in slow corners...etc

So you think it could be all related to the steering?

Are there any home tests I can do to check the shocks/steering?

I f I bring it to a dealre here in ROI, they will take it for a day, 'examine' it, tell me nothings wrong and charge me a coupld of hundred.

Would rather have some evidence and go to an independant or possibly have a go myself?

Status
    With a low speed steering knock its sounding more like a steering/suspension issue. Simple test is to jack the whole front of the car up so both wheels off the ground (either use 2 jacks or find a suitable strong point on the front x-member and use a trolley jack) and wiggle both the wheels about quite roughly - this will test for any play in the joints/steering rack, if it moves/grinds/clanks etc then there's something a problem. Another test on the dampers is just to just push down hard on the front corners, the car should just recoil back to normal height, any bounce/groaning noises & you've got shot shock absorbers. Either way, i'd get it looked at v.soon if I were you.

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for that.
    Will try out your suggestions at home and see what that gives me and then get it looked at if needs be.
    If I need anything changing I might be best upgrading the suspension as a whole I guess rather than putting a new part into a group of old ones?
    Doing nearly 700 miles a week so can't be ignored I suppose!

Status
    If it is the suspension then yes i'd change the whole lot, if its just 1 damper thats gone now, another may go in a few months and your back with the problem. Have a play this weekend if I were you, that much mileage will exaserbate the problem v.quickly!