MAF & Coil Pack?

Ekkie

Reaction score
I bought an A4 1.8T about 3 weeks ago. I noticed it doesnt idle as an Audi should. Last week i noticed the ESP light would come on sometimes, after restarting the car it would be as normal. The other day the car started shaking which was undriveable. I had to get coil pack changed from Audi service centre.

They only changed one coil pack. My question is if i change the other 3 will this make car idle and drive as it should as currently it jerks and isnt as smooth as id expect.

Secondly the ESP light is that cause by the MAF and does this have anything to do with the jerking. Help would be apprecited.

Yes it could be the MAF thats causing to the ESP light to come on and drive poorly. When Audi changed the coilpack they would no doubt have scanned the ECU to see which cylinder was misfiring and replaced that coilpack. So Im guessing if they only replaced one, there was only one needed replaced. Therefore I would unplug the MAF and see if that sorts the problem out. If that doesnt solve the problem get someone to scan it with VAG.COM and see what codes it comes back with.

It's definitely a MAF problem if your ESP light stays lit when it shouldn't be.

Where do you live?

hey dude,
i had the same problem on my car, but it happened in france at eurodisney, (not good) i was doing about 100ish and the esp light came on only briefly and the car vibrated badly and scared the f'ing 'sugar honey ice tea' out of me, did it again later that weekend, but was ok on the way home took it stright to audi, ended up being the coil pack!!!

turns out they've revised these coils 7-8 times since 2001, due to this problem, i decided to change the remaining myself as the cars done almost 100k