AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

A4 2004 S line - water under doors

I noticed this a few weeks back, but with the latest downpours it has become most noticeable:

On all passenger doors I get a fair build up of water trapped between the door bottom and the sil...so if you don't stand out of the way when opening the door you get wet feet. There's no water getting inside thankfully...anybody else noticed this?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I used to get this on my A4 on all the doors.

4th Gear

Status
    My Nov 2003 A4 Avant 2.5TDi Quattro Sport also leaves water under the doors trapped between the door and sill......this is why I think although Audi are almost on a par with BMW as regards build quality...this sort of thing shows a lack of thought/consideration by Audi Designers.....

A bigger p*sser is when there is a bit of water on the roof of the car, and you happen to open the drivers window to feed money into a hospital parking meter (like I did yesterday), you get loads of water drip all over the 4 electric window switches and the electric mirror controller knob on the drivers inside door panel....knob....now that IS cr*p design !

Neutral

Status
    Perhaps it never rains in Germany!

Thanks for the replies.

Beef

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnboyC
    My Nov 2003 A4 Avant 2.5TDi Quattro Sport also leaves water under the doors trapped between the door and sill......this is why I think although Audi are almost on a par with BMW as regards build quality...this sort of thing shows a lack of thought/consideration by Audi Designers.....

A bigger p*sser is when there is a bit of water on the roof of the car, and you happen to open the drivers window to feed money into a hospital parking meter (like I did yesterday), you get loads of water drip all over the 4 electric window switches and the electric mirror controller knob on the drivers inside door panel....knob....now that IS cr*p design !
    Completely agree.

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnboyC

Spot on mate, I get that too!!!

and yes I also have resting water on my sill under the door. Not that much to get my feet wet though...

Valentino Rossi A.K.A The Doctor

Status
    I get this too mostly on the rear doors, it irritates the hell out of me!. Ive even considered just making a little slit with a craft knife in the dead centre at the bottom, i guess it wouldnt do any harm as there are actually 2 door seals on each door, 1 on the door and 1 on the car itself. I would imagine that holding water in these areas does far more harm than good,
    54' A4 Avant TDI130 GmBh Sport Sline-19"RS6 Alloys + SATNAV+RNS-E+ TV/D.V.D/MP3+ Colour D.I.S+ Bose Hi-Fi+Bluetooth+Heated Buffalino Leather+ Aluminium Fishscale inlays+ Xenons+ 6 disc changer+ Interior Light Pack+ Storage Pack+03'VW Bora TDI150 Sport Highline+ 05' ZX-10R Ninja

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    Hey doc, wasnt you the one who also drilled a small hole underneath your mirrors to drain water properly after you washed it (as it leaves them dry water marks after you have dried it up due to the persistant dripping from inside the mirror case)....??...

Status
    Sure was me old sausage!!!
    54' A4 Avant TDI130 GmBh Sport Sline-19"RS6 Alloys + SATNAV+RNS-E+ TV/D.V.D/MP3+ Colour D.I.S+ Bose Hi-Fi+Bluetooth+Heated Buffalino Leather+ Aluminium Fishscale inlays+ Xenons+ 6 disc changer+ Interior Light Pack+ Storage Pack+03'VW Bora TDI150 Sport Highline+ 05' ZX-10R Ninja

Sir Scouser Benitez

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor
    Sure was me old sausage!!!
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Wassup Doc.....

You got any pictures mate?

Jimmy
    |B6 A4 1.9 PD TDI Sport | Fully Colour-Coded |18" RS6 Reps | EBC Grooved Discs | Greenstuff Pads | Jabbasport Custom Remap - 141.9hp @ 3683rpm / 368Nm @ 2154rpm | Complete With Drivers Detailing Disorder |

Status
    To be honest i dont know how to do it mate?????????????

Neutral

Status
    This also happens my 2003 A4 avant really anoying....... Concerned about mildew formimg on the door cards etc.
    Did find this on a German site. Tried a Babel translation ...still Double Dutch or should that be German.
    See what you can make of it

Mike

Technical solution
    Problem description
    Wasser im Bereich der Türinnen- und Außendichtung am Schweller im Türeinstiegsbereich (waagerechte Schwellerfläche)

Cause
    Es können sich die Befestigungsclipse der Türdichtung zum Türgrundkörper lösen. Somit kann Wasser aus dem Türgrundkörper auf dem Türschweller gelangen. Von dort kann es nicht ablaufen,, somit kommt es erst beim Türöffnen zu einer Entleerung. Bei Minusgraden kann es auch zu Vereisung kommen.

Production solution
    Ab ca. KW 12/03 werden geänderte Türdichtungsclipse zur Verfügng stehen.

Service solution
    Türdichtungsclipse sorgfälltig auf festen Sitz überprüfen (Dichtung umlaufend mit 2 Fingern anziehen). Auch muss der Dichtring des Dichtclip fest mit dem Clipgrundkörper verbunden sein und darf nicht lose auf diesem liegen, da auch hier die dichtende Funktion sonst nicht erfüllt wird. Bei defektem Clip kann momentan nur eine neue Dichtung mit alten Clipsen verbaut werden (wenn möglich bitte Reparaturen bis KW 12/03 zurückstellen). Bei der Überprüfung des Fahrzeuges bitte darauf achten, dass die Türverkleidungsdämpfung sauber und dicht angebracht ist. Die Befestigungsclipse der Türverkleidung übernehmen ebenfalls abdichtende Funktionen. Auch muss überprüft werden ob Wasser über die Diebstahlabdeckung des Türschlosses in das Türschloss läuft und dann über den Anschraubbereich des Türschlosses über die Türverkleidung abläuft. Wenn dieses der Fall ist muss die Diebstahlabdeckung mit Butyl zum Türgrundkörper abgedichtet werden. Zur Überprüfung das Fahrzeug entweder mit einem Wasserschlauch oder Waschstraße bewässern und dann beim langsamen Öffnen der Türe gezielt überprüfen, ob noch Wasser im Schwellerbereich vorhanden ist.

Accounting instructions
    KD-Nummer/Schadensart/Hersteller: 57 63 L50 ..., 57 63 R 50 ...

GreasedMonkey HoofHearted

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MgHart
    This also happens my 2003 A4 avant really anoying....... Concerned about mildew formimg on the door cards etc.
    Did find this on a German site. Tried a Babel translation ...still Double Dutch or should that be German.
    See what you can make of it

Mike

Technical solution
    Problem description
    Wasser im Bereich der Trinnen- und Auendichtung am Schweller im Treinstiegsbereich (waagerechte Schwellerflche)
    Water within the range of the door interior and external sealing at the Schweller [door sill ??] within the door entry range (horizontal Schwellerflaeche [surface ??])

Cause
    Es knnen sich die Befestigungsclipse der Trdichtung zum Trgrundkrper lsen. Somit kann Wasser aus dem Trgrundkrper auf dem Trschweller gelangen. Von dort kann es nicht ablaufen,, somit kommt es erst beim Trffnen zu einer Entleerung. Bei Minusgraden kann es auch zu Vereisung kommen.
    The Befestigungsclipse [??] of the door seal can separate to the door base. Thus water from the door base can arrive on the Tuerschweller [door seal ??]. From there it cannot run off, thus comes it only when door opening to an emptying. With minus degrees it can come also to freezing up.

Production solution
    Ab ca. KW 12/03 werden genderte Trdichtungsclipse zur Verfgng stehen.
    Itself the Befestigungsclipse [???] of the starting from can do approx.. KW of 12/03 will stand changed Tuerdichtungsclipse to the Verfuegng

My guess - that means that from build-date December 2003, the door seals were modified.

Service solution
    Trdichtungsclipse sorgflltig auf festen Sitz berprfen (Dichtung umlaufend mit 2 Fingern anziehen). Auch muss der Dichtring des Dichtclip fest mit dem Clipgrundkrper verbunden sein und darf nicht lose auf diesem liegen, da auch hier die dichtende Funktion sonst nicht erfllt wird. Bei defektem Clip kann momentan nur eine neue Dichtung mit alten Clipsen verbaut werden (wenn mglich bitte Reparaturen bis KW 12/03 zurckstellen). Bei der berprfung des Fahrzeuges bitte darauf achten, dass die Trverkleidungsdmpfung sauber und dicht angebracht ist. Die Befestigungsclipse der Trverkleidung bernehmen ebenfalls abdichtende Funktionen. Auch muss berprft werden ob Wasser ber die Diebstahlabdeckung des Trschlosses in das Trschloss luft und dann ber den Anschraubbereich des Trschlosses ber die Trverkleidung abluft. Wenn dieses der Fall ist muss die Diebstahlabdeckung mit Butyl zum Trgrundkrper abgedichtet werden. Zur berprfung das Fahrzeug entweder mit einem Wasserschlauch oder Waschstrae bewssern und dann beim langsamen ffnen der Tre gezielt berprfen, ob noch Wasser im Schwellerbereich vorhanden ist.
    Tuerdichtungsclipse sorgfaelltig [check the seals ??] for tightness examine (circulating with 2 fingers tighten seal). Also must the sealing ring sealing tie-clip be firmly with the tie-clip base connected and may not not loosely on this be appropriate, since the sealing function is not fulfilled also here otherwise. With defective tie-clip momentarily only a new seal with old Clipsen can be blocked (if possible ask repairs up to KW of 12/03 to reset). With the examination of the vehicle please on the fact it respects that the door lining absorption is clean and closely appropriate. The Befestigungsclipse [??] of the door lining takes over likewise sealing functions. Also must be examined whether water over the theft cover of the door lock into the door lock runs and then over the screwing on range of the door lock over the door lining runs off. If this the case is must the theft cover with Butyl to the door base be sealed. Water and then when slow opening the Tuere [door] for examination purposefully examine the vehicle either with a water hose or a wash road whether still water is present in the swelling inheritance realm.

Accounting instructions
    KD-Nummer/Schadensart/Hersteller: 57 63 L50 ..., 57 63 R 50 ...
    This is sommat to do with the warranty claim procedure.
    Sean - Independent Motor Vehicle Technician (retd)
    ------
    2007 Audi B7 (8EC) RS4 quattro saloon 4.2 FSI V8 32v (BNS) (with ceramic brakes ) - V-max = 9.8mpg @ 172 mph - WOW
    2006/7 VW A5 (1K) Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr 2.0T FSI (BWA) DSG, fully loaded, colour coded,
    1998/9 Honda CBR600FX - the blueberry trifle

2003 Audi B6 (8E) S4 quattro saloon 4.2 V8 40v (BBK) 6sp man, fully loaded (gone, but not forgotten)

Neutral

Status

Cool

See Double -dutch?????
    Looks like the seals were re-designed ofter 2003 but that really is all I can get out of that ?

Mike

Status
    Yeh and mines an 04 54 and it still bloody does it!!!

Audi_A4_Driver

Status
    Hey guys, here is a good site you can translate many languages to English http://ca.babelfish.yahoo.com/
    If you wana?
    Audi A4+ TQ Driver
    Turbo Is Human Anabolic
    Boost Is The Injection