Heated windscreen

wallacr

Reaction score
Hi All,

Today is the first time that I've had to use my rear heated windscreen, well only because of a little mist on the glass, but when I pressed the button it seemed to light up for about 3 seconds and then goes straight off.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Cheers,

Rich

Umm, I'm guessing you're talking about the rear screen as the front windscreen isn't heated. It might have blown a fuse when you turned it on.

arthurfuxake said:
Umm, I'm guessing you're talking about the rear screen as the front windscreen isn't heated. It might have blown a fuse when you turned it on.

Thanks for replying.

I didn't think about a fuse, because the light initially comes on, although only for a few seconds. I'll check the fuse though.

Boy will I feel stupid if it does turn out to be just a fuse. I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Rich

arthurfuxake said:
Umm, I'm guessing you're talking about the rear screen as the front windscreen isn't heated.

wallacr said:
Hi All,

Today is the first time that I've had to use my rear heated windscreen, well only because of a little mist on the glass, but when I pressed the button it seemed to light up for about 3 seconds and then goes straight off.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Cheers,

Rich

Nice one sherlock

Unfortunately it wasn't the fuse at fault, the one in there was ok, but to be sure I changed it anyway and it still doesn't work :(

I'd try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes then trying it again, then if that doesn't work, remove the trim around the rear windscreen and disconnect the window heater terminals and check for voltage. If you have anyone with access to VAG-COM they may help.

A4Quattro said:
I'd try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes then trying it again, then if that doesn't work, remove the trim around the rear windscreen and disconnect the window heater terminals and check for voltage. If you have anyone with access to VAG-COM they may help.

Thanks Chris, I'll give that a go later tonight and see what's what.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Rich

Rich, if you post in the VAG-COM section then there may be someone near you who can interrogate the climate control unit and see if its at fault. Where do you live (area)

Thanks Chris, I disconnected the battery as you originally suggested and that appears to have done it. I left it for about 20-25 minutes and it seems fine now. Very odd, but at least it's working now, so that's the main thing.

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rich

i always, have a little dabble....disconnecting the battery for iffy things......

My heater-plug light was flashing on and off now and again........disconnected the battery for about half an hour......re-connected it....and about 2 weeks down the line...its still not done it.

wallacr said:
Thanks Chris, I disconnected the battery as you originally suggested and that appears to have done it. I left it for about 20-25 minutes and it seems fine now. Very odd, but at least it's working now, so that's the main thing.

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rich

You're welcome, feel free to push the thanks button (on a thanks mission)

JGrant1285 said:
i always, have a little dabble....disconnecting the battery for iffy things......

My heater-plug light was flashing on and off now and again........disconnected the battery for about half an hour......re-connected it....and about 2 weeks down the line...its still not done it.

Isn't it mad how a simple disconnecting of the battery can solve things. Mind you, I guess it's the same principle as rebooting your computer.

It's good to know though and now I know, it'll be one of the first things that I try if I have any futher problems :)

Cheers,

Rich