DIY service

jibbajabba

Reaction score
Anyone use ramps/chassis stands/both at home for DIY servicing?

Can ye recommend some please if any, I want to do routine oil change etc and am not comfortable lying under a jacked up motor.

Any experiences would help too.

Also, can any tell me where the sump plug is positioned on a 2002 A4 1.9TDi 130? Basically if I jack it up in the front can I drain all the oil?

Jack the car up on the sill using a rubber pad or wooden block, then put some stands under the part where the suspension meets the bodywork, there is a big bolt head there (its easy to spot).
Halford do stands, I have a set of collapseable ones and they are fine, just make sure they can withstand 1000kg each
The sump plug is on the bottom of the sump but you'll have to remove the sump spash shield first, its the plastic covering the bottom of the engine.

A4Quattro said:
The sump plug is on the bottom of the sump but you'll have to remove the sump spash shield first, its the plastic covering the bottom of the engine.

I think the plank I hit there last week sorted that for me! Ripped the corner off the guard and shattered the other guard under the transmission...will need to get them replaced

As for stands, Id rather use them, so will try and source some.

Good news about the sump plug though, that means the car wont have to be level doing an oil change then, yeah?

No, the plug is towards the rear of the sump so by the car being at an agle it will actually help it. I always take my car for a short run first to warm up the oil, helps it flow out easier.

Was in Halfords at the weekend. Seen two sets of stands, one of which was plastic?! They said they have a 5 ton weight per pair??

Anyone seen/used these? They would be a cleaner storage solution wetc if they were trustworthy? Other than that there were the basic blue metal ones, stating 2 tonne per pair?

200-644229.jpg

These were £9.99 from Halfords, and they seem to do the trick. Only thing is it hasn't stopped raining for the last week or so, so I'm dying to get underneath the car and start working my magic (ruining my car).

jibbajabba said:
Was in Halfords at the weekend. Seen two sets of stands, one of which was plastic?! They said they have a 5 ton weight per pair??

Anyone seen/used these? They would be a cleaner storage solution wetc if they were trustworthy? Other than that there were the basic blue metal ones, stating 2 tonne per pair?

Should re-phrase, I meant ramps instead of stands guys, plastic ramps, looked sturdy enough?

I've always steered clear of ramps because I have had cars that were quite low, they can cause problems with catching on the bumpers etc.