Chris NottBadger5

Thread: Brake Disks

Neutral

Status

Brake Disks

Hey people,

How do you know when brake disks have come to end of their life?
    Mine have a lip on them at this stage, where it looks like the area where the contact point for the pads has worn down. You can see and feel the lip on the rim of disk when you run your finger over it.

Car has done 80k now, and I'm not sure if they have ever been replaced?

Oh, and if I'm gonna change them, standard repalcement brake kit or others?
    Not interested in modding, just best quality no fuss replacement if required

Laters...

2. # ADS
    ADS

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Status
    The lip on the edge appears as they're warn down by the pads and is the best way to tell if your needing a replacement. I'd say if you've got 80k on the clock & you've got a fairly pronounced lip then worthwhile making the change, if the lip is barely noticeable then wouldnt bother. As for replacements, you can get uprated aftermarket stuff for a better price than originals, EBC is highly regarded, your looking about £160'ish for a front disc & pad replacement set up.
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

Current road going missile.....

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

Gonad

Status
    Ive got EBC grooved and dimpled? disks and red stuff pads and they are awesome.

Neutral

Status
    Yeah I have seen them on the net and boards etc....maybe worth looking into...cheers guys

Sir Scouser Benitez

Status
    I'm in need of new discs for the front too....mine have quiet a big lip on them, and mines just done a touch over 100K.

I'm looking at these below....what do you think?

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/searc...=12&v1=car&t1=

Along with these pads:

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/searc...13&v1=car&t1=#

Is this a good combo? Ive never bothered changing brakes etc (obviously apart from changing pads etc), ive always stuck to standard ones. Is this the better option rather than using brand-new standard stuff? Also is it worth getting braided hoses at all?

Thanks for your advice
    |B6 A4 1.9 PD TDI Sport | Fully Colour-Coded |18" RS6 Reps | EBC Grooved Discs | Greenstuff Pads | Jabbasport Custom Remap - 141.9hp @ 3683rpm / 368Nm @ 2154rpm | Complete With Drivers Detailing Disorder |

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Status
    Its a fine set up if you need face through the windscreen stopping power, a little much for most peoples needs though and you'd be fine dropping to the grooved discs, if not just cos they're cheaper! Braided hoses are only for show & race car/competition use, wouldnt waste your money on them personally.
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

Current road going missile.....

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

Sir Scouser Benitez

Status

Talking

Cheers Nicko!!!!

Looks like i'll get them ordered then.....

2 new front tyres needed soon anyway.....These 18's aint cheap are they???

By the way, anybody know where i can get some nice decent.....maybe Brembo red coloured Caliper paint from? They have some red in halfords, but its like a reddy-orange-rust colour

**EDIT**

Just placed the order now....came to 170 all in, incl. delivery, not bad IMO...

Cant wait to get them whacked on now....something to do over the weekend
    Last edited by JGrant1285; 21st June 2007 at 14:57.
    |B6 A4 1.9 PD TDI Sport | Fully Colour-Coded |18" RS6 Reps | EBC Grooved Discs | Greenstuff Pads | Jabbasport Custom Remap - 141.9hp @ 3683rpm / 368Nm @ 2154rpm | Complete With Drivers Detailing Disorder |