ESP Light on solid /Glow Plug light flashing??

vincenzo_2k

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an 2001 A4 1.9 tdi(B6 is it)
The ESP light came on and stayed on after starting. After a few minutes the glowplug light started flashing.
:sorry:

Looking at past threads I will check the brakelights, i think there is a problem there so is that what is causing the flashing glow plugs light?

I also see that a brake pedal sensor may be part of the problem?
Or else a fuse for the back brake lights? Where is that?
The light over the boot is working but I dont think brake lights on either side are.

Can anyone explain why the ESP light is staying on?
I got hit by someone a while back and the ABS and ESP light stayed on for a short while before turning off (I didnt notice the hit until a day later) but someone mentioned that is due to some created memory of the hit??

Thanks for any help given. It will be much appreciated.
Does anyone have an idea of the cost?

I have to say the other threads on this site have provided a lot of useful info. What a fantastic resource this site and others similar are!!

Many thanks!
Vin

It does sound like your brakelight switch. This is positioned at the top of your brake lever.

An original will only cost you about £7 from the dealer and its a very simple proceedure to replace.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I am coming to that conclusion myself, based on previous threads including your previous replies.
However I am not very technical or mechanical but you think it would be simple enough for a newbie??

I might give it a shot if I have the tools available. Otherwise I will give instructions asking for the switch to be replaced.

I would still need to bring it into a garage to look at the codes to make sure, am i right?

Many thanks again for the reply, and for your previous threads. As i read through them I went from very worried to much less worried.:thumbsup:

Cheers
Vin

It s very easy to do.

You need to remove the lower panel beneath the steering column to get access to the pedals.

Have a look up and you cant miss the switch. Remobve the eletrical connector and the switch will twist anti-clockwise and then pull out.

Have a look at the orientation of the connector ie whether its at 10 o'clock etc as this will give you some indication as to how far you need to twist the new connector in place.

If you find that when you have done it your brake lights are permanently on, even when the keys are out of the ignition, then you need to twist it a couple of degrees further clockwise.

Its a very easy job to do and well worth the attempt, even if you think that your arnt technical.

good luck

cheers

Simon

yep had the exact same problem on mine, just needs the sensor replaced. £7 from audi

Ok...I am having problems.
I have replaced brake light switch, but am not having any joy.:rolleyes:
The ESP light has gone off but coil light is still flashing, and now of course the brakelights are all on solid, including the one in the rear window.
I have tried twisting switch more but I think it is clicked in properly, i.e I am pretty sure.
The plunger is of the same length as the old switch.
It is also twisted around to the same position as the old one.
Anyone have further ideas or know where I might have gone wrong.??
Could this new switch be faulty?

Please advise.
Thanks!!

Had exactly the same on mine the first time I did it. Brake lights on all the time even when the keys out of the ignition and the doors locked.

The switch needs turning a couple of degrees more clockwise.

Trust me

Simon

hmmm...what can i say...ooops:whistle2:

I replaced both brake lights, seems one had fallen out and the other blown, and had already left the original brakelght switch in place and everything was working fine again.
In hindsight I should probably have done that first.. but I assumed both brakelights had blown at the same time and therefore switch was responsible.

So now I have a spare switch for the time when it may happen again?? Now I am prepared for it...:weight_lift2:
Maybe I should try the new one in it anyway to see if it does work.

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

sorry to bring this up again, have replaced my old switch, but lights still coming on the dash and brake lights only working if I press pedal hard, does the plunger need to be pulled out some more.

Just rang Audi they say even if the switch is Knackered I have to bring it in to service, for them to check it is fitted properly.
Well I cant see any other way of fitting it, it clicks in place simple as that and it is a nice healthy click.
Bad thing is they will say it is fitted wrong whatever and charge me a huge amount of money anyway.

give ita try as the other guys say mate try twisting it more.

my break light went on mine, went to audi, they wanted to to charge 50 quid to change the break light. said no, went to the local garage, bought a bulb for 75p and the guy fitted it for nothing took all of 2 minutes.