Help, have i bust it!

Speckygit

Reaction score
Before i start, yes i know i'm a plonker! Anyway went to check levels etc on my a4 the other day and topped up power steering reservoir with brake fliud (yes, I know). Just want to know if anybody knows if this is A. Not good. B. really not good or C. ****** hell get it out quick. Wasn't actually much- i would say about 50-75ml. I realize it's not the same type of fliud but would like to know possible problems that might occur. Any advice or assistance would be most welcome

have you started the car since? if yes then you have a problem if no maybe not so much of a problem.
Remove the lower pipe from the PS reservoir and drain out the liquid.

Yes I have started and driven car. The power steering now whines when the wheels are turned when the car is stationary but o.k. when moving. Does this mean the whole system will need draining and refilling? If so any idea about cost/time invovled. Thanks very much for your advice.

the whole system will need to be drained, refilled and engine started, turn the steering lock to lock several times. and then drained again to flush out all the brake fluid, then refilled again.

Thanks v. much for all your help will get that done as soon as possible. Will let you know how i get on.

Thanks Chris, Yellow for for stopping ,black for steering. All together now. Just one last question before i go. Is there a drain on the bottom of the steering pump or do you just drain from the pipe union on the top of the pump.

find the lowest point on the system, which is likely to be the oil cooler in front of the rad, and whip the pipe off there you can run the engine for a short time and turn the steering to push out all the oil.

oh and on my motor the PAS reservoir cap is dark green...

Hello dude,

DONT DRIVE THE CAR, a mate of mines dad put brake fluid into the power steering,on a golf, resulting in him needing a new pump and rack, as the 2 fuilds can react and can damage the seals in your system, you should get it flushed asap dont even leave it sitting with the fluids in it....

Hi all Update for you. Flushed system out twice but still getting noise when turning right. Fluid coming out is clean as whistle though. But on reading previous message above looks like a dropped a right clanger. not exactly a happy bunny but thanks for all your help and advice. will keep you posted

sorry to hear that mate, from what i've been told brake fuild has no lub properties, and cuts into the bearings and rack if put into the power steering system, hence the brakeing system working off a vacume pump....your best be is getting hold of a salvage rack and pump,

my mate changed the pump but had small traces of brake fliud in the rack, and did'nt get it sorted until both where changed,

i've been told by a friend of my dads who was a master tech at volvo, the best way to flush a contaminated system is to, use boiling water and a good degreaseing agent i.e: some sort of oven cleaning spray, mix the water and degreaser together and run it thought your system with the car on as your turn the steering lock to lock, and let the return pipe to the power steering resevor drain out (dont let the returning water go back into the system) oh and block the return hold on the tank,

this should clean out the system, seals and bearings, if the damage is'nt that bad,

leave the system once the water has flushed out completely and flush it once more with boiling hot water, the hotter the better, the water will dry quickly and flush it once with power steering fluid, and fill with new fluid.....hopefully sorted, but this is a 50/50 thing

worth a try though

The fluid i would recommend for a flush would be Methlyated spirits as it will cut back the brake fluid, it's what we used to use to flush the braking system out with when 'I were a mechanic'