Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    Uhm... what next...

Status

Talking Revo done - but need a new exhaust and hi-flow cat!!

Thought i'd finally make a new post! I have just had a remap done by Northampton Motorsport http://www.northamptonmotorsport.com/ and i can say with some authority that it is fantastic! Having driven an AMD remapped car and now having had my own 1.8t q 190ps remapped with the Revo software i finally have a quick and highly tractable car. Many thanks to Troy and team for their work and advice and also in diagnosing a knackered MAF.

From my experience the remapping process is a personal thing and all down to your own driving style but as a start for me the Revo map is far less aggressive than others that i have tried with the VAG 1.8t engine (regardless of how the ECU was configured) and has resulted in a smooth and progressive power upgrade making roughly 30Bhp on the Oct95 fuel setting (i can't afford to run it on Oct98 just yet!)

However! it would seem that i am also soon to be the proud owner of a new exhaust with the discovery that the CAT is in need of replacement and a new exhaust manifold - you can see where this is going! - i've immediately considered a Milltek solution with 90mm tips and a hi-flow CAT but with prices averaging 1400 inc.fitting!! i am wondering if there are any cheaper but still quality solutions for this slightly expensive predictament??

Audi A7 TDI 3.0 245 S-Line Quattro - MY13 - Tints, Matte Grey Wheels.

Previous: BMW 5 Series 2.0D SE - MY11, Volvo S40 D5 - MY09, Audi A4 1.8T - MY04, Volvo S40 2.0D SE - MY05, Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec - MY02, Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - W Reg, Ford Fiesta 1.4 Si - M Reg, Vauxhall Nova 1.2 Deluxe (with a boot!)

Audi A4 1.8T 190Bhp Quattro
    : Revo Stage 2 Remap, MIJ Performance Exhaust, Phillips Xtreme H7 Bulbs, H&R ARBs, Weitec Shocks & Springs -35mm.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I would get a Milltek cat-back and a test pipe instead of a cat. Revo should have a cat-delete file (otherwise you will get a CEL with test pipe).

Test pipes are only 150 USD vs 800 GBP for the cat.
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T
    Go: Sportec K04 Stage II | ATP manifold | Milltek cat-back | Dual IC | JJ TIP | Ecode TP | S4 rear sway | Brembo ORO rotors | Ferodo DS2500 pads
    Show: full S4 body conversion | bi-xenons

Uhm... what next...

Status
    that sounds an awful lot cheaper which is good, but what about the MOT? surely a CAT has to be present?

Previous: BMW 5 Series 2.0D SE - MY11, Volvo S40 D5 - MY09, Audi A4 1.8T - MY04, Volvo S40 2.0D SE - MY05, Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec - MY02, Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - W Reg, Ford Fiesta 1.4 Si - M Reg, Vauxhall Nova 1.2 Deluxe (with a boot!)

: Revo Stage 2 Remap, MIJ Performance Exhaust, Phillips Xtreme H7 Bulbs, H&R ARBs, Weitec Shocks & Springs -35mm.

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    Chris, You may aswell go the whole way and have a Decat. The yanks do it and swear by it. Just aslong as you aint one of the unlucky ones that get the dashboard lighting up like a christmas tree!!!!

Miltek is what I wanted, couldnt afford it at the time so had a custom one made for 350.

Uhm... what next...

Status

Question Hi-Flow CAT, Bad experience???

i suspect you're right, the general concensus from friends is that a half way measure is only going to leave me a few month later wanting and knowing i could have had it if i waited....or there's always those 0% credit card purchases...uhm.... a rain check and a good think me thinks!!

Dashboard christmas lights?? thats worrying? is this because the turbo spins up sooner due the Milltek design of the hi-flow cat and the ECU gets grumpy?? oooohh not sure now, its a daily drive don't want to make it too unreliable!

Does anyone know if its a common problem, or does it appear to be a problem because people only post problems with it and not the successes?

Uhm... what next...

Status

Red face

or... or... am i mis-reading this and you ARE saying take the CAT out of the way altogether with no Milltek anything apart from the exhaust?

I assume this does mean i'd have to refit it for MOT time or find a friendily garage....

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status
    Hey there mate, as I'm looking into getting a d/p and sport cat have a look at http://www.mijperformance.com/, got my other exhuast bits done there http://00626e1.netsolhost.com/formoshun/s3/MIJ.htmand they do a quality job, much cheaper than Milltek but still v.good quality.
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

Uhm... what next...

Status
    thanks for the info, i've emailed them and had a couple of replies, they've been very helpful and i will be heading up there in the next couple of weeks or so, i was put in touch with a guy called Maz who's part of Audi-Sport and been very helpful.

Still trying to decide whether i can afford the Hi-flow CAT option as well.... i think it'll be the case of rolling the dice and not eating for a few months!

Can't wait!

Uhm... what next...

Status
    ...and finally had a chance to go over your website, the original link didn't work! got there in the end though. thats some pretty extensive modifications you made but all really well executed, nothing is over the top and everything is done as an inprovement, well done mate.

Neutral

Status
    For those interested - Milltek HJS test (0hp, 0tq gain):

http://www.mjbmotorsport.com/id81.html
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T
    Go: Sportec K04 Stage II | ATP manifold | Milltek cat-back | Dual IC | JJ TIP | Ecode TP | S4 rear sway | Brembo ORO rotors | Ferodo DS2500 pads

Uhm... what next...

Status
    Blimey, you ain't wrong, there would seem to be the square root of didly squat difference there. Interesting, wonder whether Milltek will post a response to these findings?

Neutral

Status
    As I said - get a testpipe together with a cat delete file. At least you will gain something - like 5hp - past 5000RPM.

Here is a dyno plot I made before and after installing the test pipe.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112672

Another bit worth installing is a Turbo Inlet Pipe. I gained 5 more hp peak and close to 10hp more in the 5500-6500rpm range just by replacing the stock rubber part.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113837

BTW - Milltec HFC will trigger a CEL eventually. Only it takes longer to do so.
    Last edited by Elberoth; 29th May 2007 at 12:37.
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T

***** rent boy

Status
    Elberoth, I thought I'd seen you from somewhere else. I've been over on the 'Zine for a while now too and your name kept sounding familiar on these forums.

Anyway, how much did you get your TIP for and how easy was installation? I've been seriously thinking of changing mine as the OEM one looks like it might collapse any time soon. Does it really make a difference in the upper rev range?

Neutral

Status
    Install is potentially plug&play. I said "potentially" since you have to get the right one for your model year. Audi changed the design of the TIP around 2003 (they relocated the PVC valve) so you have to take that into consideration when ordering.

I ordered the wrong one and had to source a 90' rubber elbow from a local parts shop to connect everything. Other that that - everything went smoothly.

As you can see on the dynoplot, the TIP I used (which is made of SS) gained 10hp in the upper range. And yes - it is noticable.

It is the most cost effective mod you can do to this car, after getting a chip. I recommend it highly.
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T