Looking at buying a used A4, what should i look for?

gadgesxi

Reaction score
Hello first!

Im looking at buying an A4, one i have my eye on is a 51 plate, 1.8T Sport. It has 80k on the clock and the price is £7k from a indipendant dealer.

Is there anything i should look out for before handing over the cash?

Thanks
Andy

Apart from the usual i.e. dealer service history check to make sure its had its timing belt changed also when taking it for a test drive listen out for any unusual suspension noise as a new set up can cost you a fortune. Apart from that haggle with the price, try and get some warranty - good luck

Thanks.

How many miles are these good for?
How tough is the turbo?

Here is the one im looking at:

media

If the oil hasn't been changed regularly, and the correct oil not used, then the 1.8t engine can suffer from 'sludging'. This could be a problem at 80k miles. But if everything as been done correctly then the engine can go double the distance.

Sure this is a turbo sport? Mine is a 51 reg 1.8T sport and it sits lower than the one ur looking at and should have 5 spoke 17's fitted the one's on the car look like 16's, question them!?! I'd also like to add that you should see if it has 2 flip keys as your looking at 150quid plus from a stealer to get a replacement. This of course should be taken from the car price :) other than that everything as above

Some sports have 16s, the Avant I am buying has, maybee the 17"s where an option.

ok, thanks for replies.

Another question, as i'll be borrowing money to buy the A4. I want one to last a fair few years, so i want one thats going to be very reliable, so if that means a diesel then so be it. I only do 6k a year if that. Any suggestions?

I did think about a diesel and then getting it chipped, but im unsure whether the A4's like it?

gadgesxi said:
Another question, as i'll be borrowing money to buy the A4. I want one to last a fair few years, so i want one thats going to be very reliable, so if that means a diesel then so be it. I only do 6k a year if that. Any suggestions?
I'm not exactly what you are asking; but if the question is; is a diesel car more reliable than a petrol? Then I'd say that they are much the same reliability wise. In terms of reliability it's much more important is that it has been serviced properly than what engine it has.

I did think about a diesel and then getting it chipped, but im unsure whether the A4's like it?
Manufacturers send cars out of the factory with very conservative tuning on the engine so that it can stand up to poor fuel, poor servicing and mistreatment, and not fall apart or fail an emissons test. Remappping just takes things to the point where if you use decent fuel (ie not 3rd world), service the car and let it warm up before giving it some stick, the engine will still be reliable /enough/.

banny said:
Some sports have 16s, the Avant I am buying has, maybee the 17"s where an option.
- Thanks I never knew this.

Gadgesxi - I think you should test drive both a Turbo petrol and a Turbo Diesel as both are very different. What ever you choose I think you'll be safe with the German engineering under your right foot

If you do go for it I have some nice 17's for sale:thumbsup:

gadgesxi said:
I want one to last a fair few years, so i want one thats going to be very reliable, so if that means a diesel then so be it. I only do 6k a year if that.
Sorry petrol guys but i think the PD is more reliable than the 1.8t.:undwech:

gadgesxi said:

They love it.Mine did anyway.:w00t:

ok, what A4 would you choose if you had 7k to buy one with?

I'd have a 1.9tdi 130bhp Sport, and I'd be prepared to have one with over 100k miles if it was in the right condition.

I reckon I would have an Avant though :blackrs4:

gadgesxi said:
ok, what A4 would you choose if you had 7k to buy one with?
Quattro petrol or FWD diesel.Also i think the Tdi 130 will hold its value a little better than a FWD petrol.
If i could i would keep my A4 until it fell to bits.Which wont be long if the misses gets her mits on it.
If your local you can have a drive in mine,you can see how a remapped one drives.

Im pretty local James, So can I come and have a thrash of your Car too??:eyebrows:

james0808 said:
Quattro petrol or FWD diesel.Also i think the Tdi 130 will hold its value a little better than a FWD petrol.
If i could i would keep my A4 until it fell to bits.Which wont be long if the misses gets her mits on it.
If your local you can have a drive in mine,you can see how a remapped one drives.

J7USS said:
Im pretty local James, So can I come and have a thrash of your Car too??:eyebrows:
Of course you can,as your used to a 1.8t i might need to turn the boost down abit.:ohmy:

icenutter said:
If the oil hasn't been changed regularly, and the correct oil not used, then the 1.8t engine can suffer from 'sludging'. This could be a problem at 80k miles. But if everything as been done correctly then the engine can go double the distance.

i sourced a 2002 1.8t for my friend. it had about 80k on it. 2 months after buying, the above happened. his engine blew, gutted for him.
Apparently more common than is reported on here. To prevent, i beleive it needs the oil strainer checking for cleanliness/. replacing. I could be wrong though, i'm sure the more mechanically minded will correct me and i'll still to messing with rear derailleurs on racing bikes!!

icenutter said:
I'd have a 1.9tdi 130bhp Sport, and I'd be prepared to have one with over 100k miles if it was in the right condition.

I reckon I would have an Avant though :blackrs4:

i once had a 19 tdi saloon sport with 140k on it. it drove just as well as a run-out 19 tdi 6 avant with 15k on it that i had last year!

ok, what gives more fun? the 150bhp 1.8T or the 130bhp 1.9Tdi ?

1.8T. I like the torque you get with a diesel engine so I'd still have one of them.

icenutter said:
1.8T. I like the torque you get with a diesel engine so I'd still have one of them.

I like the diesel and torque you get BUT when i had a go of the 1.8T it was more fun so i sold the diesel then got me the 1.8T I just love its >>> RAPID drive...for it is more fun. But every one as they own opinion, they are both good cars to have its just a matter of personal choice.

gadgesxi said:
ok, what gives more fun? the 150bhp 1.8T or the 130bhp 1.9Tdi ?
The 150 1.8t dont give any fun at all until remapped,very slow in a golf so in an A4:lazy: .I have a Golf Gti-t and a Tdi 130 both remapped and the golf is faster off the lights(in the dry) and will give a better top speed but midrange where it counts the 130 is loads more fun and it really ****** off other drivers when they loose out to a diesel.
Tdi 130 wins for me.
gadgesxi where are you?

james0808 said:
Of course you can,as your used to a 1.8t i might need to turn the boost down abit.:ohmy:

Will you provide earplugs to, you know, to help keep out the tractor-like noises. :nyah:

A4Andy said:
Will you provide earplugs to, you know, to help keep out the tractor-like noises. :nyah:

Got em in the glovebox.
I must agree that is the only downside to the diesel but only at low speed with the windows down and on a run you cant even hear it and 55mpg is nice.:w00t:

james0808 said:
The 150 1.8t dont give any fun at all until remapped,very slow in a golf so in an A4:lazy: QUOTE]

I agree, Ive this car in standard form apart from a Forge DV and is soooo sloowww better motorway cruiser my old Vento VR wood put it to shame but I still prefer the refinement the Petrol engine gives