Brakes Problem!!

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have just fitted my S4 calipers and found that my pedal goes right to the floor, So I have bled the system twice, once using the pedal pump method, and once using a pressure bleeder, but it still goes right to the floor.

Any ideas why this would be?

A4Quattro said:
I have just fitted my S4 calipers and found that my pedal goes right to the floor, So I have bled the system twice, once using the pedal pump method, and once using a pressure bleeder, but it still goes right to the floor.

Any ideas why this would be?

This can only be a airlock in the system somewhere. You may have drawn air back into the system when using the pedel pump method. May be in the ABS pump, i think you can bleed the ABS unit using Vagcom if you have it!

Also the master cylinder has a bleed nipple, you may have air in the master cylinder. This happened to me when i changed my hoses for braidied ones on my S3. Crapped my self when the pedel went down! I think the A4 has one too!

Just attached a bleeding pipe to it and open the nipple and pump the pedel a few times, this should remove the air. Hold the pedal down and close the bleed nipple...

I would do this first...

Hope that helps...

Pal

i looked for a nipple on the master cylinder and it doesn't appear to have one!

Hi you insured nipples are now tight, and also the first few times you pump pedal it will go to the floor, try pumpin 6-8 times see if she goes hard

I can only suggest bleeding the whole system again, starting from the furthest wheel. I think this would be the rear N/S wheel on the A4.

I would not use the pressure system as i have used these in the past and have had too many cases of them putting air in the system.. Use the pedal pump method, and hold the pedal down before tighting the bleed nipple then let it go. You may have to do quite a few pumps to flush them system and get any air out at each corner.

I use this

http://www.hein-gericke.com/uk/product_info.php/products_id/1708

Got it from Hein Gericke to bleed the brakes on my Aprilia Motorbike. Works a treat on the car too. It uses vacuum to draw air and fluid out, don't run the risk of getting air in the system..

Pal

Is it possible that I have put the calipers on the wrong sides, as the bleed nipple appears to be below the fluid inlet

Yes that is possible.. Although not sure if the calipers would have fitted on..

From past experience the bleed nipple has always been on the top, as the air would go to the highest point and escape from the bleed nipple then.

If your bleed nipples are at the bottom then all you would get is fluid escape, and the air would be at the top of the caliper.

I assume i am correct in what i am saying! Can anyone else confirm please.!!

When i fitted R32 brakes to the golf i had this.The pressure kit worked best for me and i had to bleed the ABS pump and all was perfect.Think you have got the calipers on wrong.
Dont forget the pics.

Rashpal is right, nipples have to be on the top...as the air will always go to the highest point to escape.

Right, the calipers were definately on the wrong sides, because I fitted them the easiest way for the existing pipes to connect. I have changed them now and the brakes work fantastic! I still need to pop to Audi tomorrow and get the 2 copper pipes and brackets that are for the S4 so that the pipes aren't hanging in mid air.
Will get pics up asap.