Grey Lowers

hays60

Reaction score
I don't really like the grey lowers on my car but don't want to shell out £300 for paint if I can help it

As it's a black car anyway, I wondered if there was a product that would "stain/ colour" the grey parts to black, perhaps applied by some sort of lint free cloth

Hope you know what I mean - just curious if there is such a product but would be very interested to hear any advice/ experiences

i'd say shell out the £300 mate as you would proberbly end up with a two-tone paint job if you just 'stained' it

You could try shoe polish....lol

I dont think £300 is to bad and as Landspeed says, you could end up with a 2 tone black car instead of black and grey. Personaly I'd get it done properly.

Yes I agree with the lads mate, Just get them Sprayed as you will Most definately have a '2 tone' effect.

Come to leicester for the day one saturday, Ill get my Cousin to sort them out for you.

Bet he'll do them for half that price.

Fair enough. I'll take your advice. Trouble is Leicester is a bit too far - even for a cut price deal :hi:

It does make me think I can probably shop around though. Will let you know when it's done

Where abouts are you???

I'm sure some of the other guys on here can recommend somewhere local to you.

Yes Im sure you can get it for cheaper price, Obviously you wouldnt just use any old cowboy but pretty sure someone out there could do it cheaper.

I'm in Somerset, so a bit out of the way. I'm gonna sort out the lamda probe problem first but then get onto the lowers

BTW - I did realise that there would be a two tone effect after staining. My thoughts were that there is currently a massive 2 tone effect with the grey that would hopefully only be a minor one if stained black.

But with your advice, If I can get it properly painted for £150 ish, then that seems much more sensible

Cheers

As was said by the others don't try to stain it, you'll end up regretting it.

A decent paint job will cost upwards of £300. I didn't have that sort of cash after buying my A4 so I sprayed them myself, it really wasn't difficult. I've never sprayed a car in my life before this so I was a bit nervous at first, but the key is to take your time applying even coats.

You can get custom colour paint from paints4u.com (excellent match for my denim blue). If you need instructions, here's a good tutorial: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1983183.

The paint, primer and lacquer cost me £45, masking tape was the only extra thing required. The colour match won't be perfect, but it is nigh on impossible to get that on a 5 year old car.

bbs_19_4.jpg

If you stained them to bring down the "2tone" effect then it would just be like you have given it to some amateur to spray and it didnt trun out good.