AHHHHHHH help!!!

terrysingh

Reaction score
Some one help....i think i f'ed up.....
basically i fitted a DIY xenon kit yesterday and today i'm getting two faults on my VAGCOM and lots of warning lights on my dash, normally the ones you get after a cruise control install (the big red brake warning light).
the two codes are

in the abs module:

18256 - please check DTC memory of engine controller
p1848 - 35 - 00 - -
65535 - internal control module memory error
00-00 - -

and on the engine module: as mentioned above to check

18057 - powertrain data bus : missing messege from abs controller
p1649 - 008 - implassible signal - intermittent

the only thing i had to disconnect when fitting the kit was a plug off of a yellow sensor on the passangers side of the radiator (there is another one of these on the other side too) any know what this does????? the wire was twisted.

and the stranger thing is the the fault for some reason tends to come up after the light are switched on?????:think: and if the car is switched off and on a couple of times the warnings disapear but the codes remain.

is this just bad luck the fault occuring after my install or is there more too it, i've tried clearing allthe codes but the fault returns???

HEEELLLPPPP please :think:

hi
the cable running to the sensor was caught up with the fan control module wireing the very clever and exact engineering at chingford audi replaced the module a while ago and didnt do a neat job....:rolleyes: do you know what this does????

oh, did you un-plug it and then plug it back in after you had un-tangled it?
unfortunately i don't know what it does, sorry.

what wiring did you use to connect the xenon kit?
my kit came with a wiring loom to connect to the battery if you have daytime running lights but audi's don't have these so you just need to connect the original bulb connector to the ballast and from the ballast to the new xenon bulbs.

i reckon it's either the xenon kit or the fact that you unplugged the sensor or what ever it is?
.....but if you plugged it back in before turning the ignition on then it shouldn't throw a fault unless it's not making a proper connection.

i have read about some xenon kits causing probs with warnings on the dis

i basically unpluged the sensor, untangled it and pluged it back in, i think theres something in the air where i live or a cloud of bad luck, my mates gttdi golf blew a piston ring friday and my other mates gti 1.8 turbo's throtle bodys f'ed up a day before... i've been reading that the abs modules are a common fault on these cars, but a easy fix, but costly, can anyone shed some like on the fault code and is it just sods law the fault happen when the lights are switched on??

i've reseated the sensor plugs and given everything a once over, might have to ring the dealers tomorrow :wtf: gonna do a bit of googleing about the xenon dis thing you've mentioned though?

I'll add my 2pence!

If the kit is fitted properly without any wiring removed apart from taking the old bulbs out then you really shoudn't have a problem. However HID's can cause the Brake Warning sensors to go ballistic if your battery isn't fully charged - the initial surge in power conflicts with the onboard car checks and if the battery isn't fully charged then brake sensors are the first to light up :jump:

I think in your case the sensor you have un-plugged in causing this though I don't know what it is; either that or your battery needs to be fully charged!

Sheraz

hi
i've just sent you a mail regarding the problem you also had, how did you resolve it??? my battery is new, its bosch and a slightly higher amp rating,

the link on your thread regarding the earthing issue, is a bit confusing what exactly do you earth????

my balasts where mounted under the plastic light mounts, i removed them today and riveted the brackets holding them directly to the cars metal frame from the plastic?

havent tried them yet i broke the top clip and gonna get a new kit from the dealers tomorrow and i a bit nervous to try them as i'll loose it if the fault persists... also cleared the codes again today using my vag-com

terrysingh said:
havent tried them yet i broke the top clip and gonna get a new kit from the dealers tomorrow and i a bit nervous to try them as i'll loose it if the fault persists... also cleared the codes again today using my vag-com

hi again, just to let you know, when you 'clear' the codes in vag-com it doesn't actually repair the fault, the codes are there to tell what the fault is but vag-com doesn't repair the problem :icon_thumright:

yes some success.... just rand "hids4u" and blaged about there kits, they've said the kits let off a small amount of interferance and use less power that normal halogen light, and if im having ABS/DIS issues to earth the ballasts and wrap the ballasts wires in sticky foil, also to figure out which ballast is causing the problem by putting the ballast as far as i can from the car with the lights on a move it closer untill the DIS/ABS light come on!!!!.... but the've never had any probs the the kit they sell!!!:wtf:

My issue was with the battery - what I had done when I installed them was kept switching on/off about 3/4 times in the space of 30 mins; obviously the first few times it was ok then then thh battery wasn't charged enough hence the brake sensor warnings - luckily after a drive to work the next day all has been ok and won't be switching them on/off like that again.

Sheraz

terrysingh said:
yes some success.... just rand "hids4u" and blaged about there kits, they've said the kits let off a small amount of interferance and use less power that normal halogen light, and if im having ABS/DIS issues to earth the ballasts and wrap the ballasts wires in sticky foil, also to figure out which ballast is causing the problem by putting the ballast as far as i can from the car with the lights on a move it closer untill the DIS/ABS light come on!!!!.... but the've never had any probs the the kit they sell!!!:wtf:

this is what i was on about when i said that i had heard about problems with some hid kits. hid kits give off a small electromagnetic pulse which causes problems with the car electronics if the ballast hasn't been Magnetically and EM Shielded properley/sufficiently but it is only usually caused by cheap far eastern kits, the ones on ebay that cost about £50.

personally i would tell hids4u that you shouldn't have to wrap them in foil if the kit had been properley EM Shielded and get your money back. i didn't have to do anything like that to my kit and it works fine, no problems at all.

spot on, i did get a cheap-o kit off ebay, my brother laughed at me when i told him how much i paid, £60, he got a decent kit from hids4u for his bmw i think it was a bosch,

Gonna try this foil idea and i've mounted the ballast directly to the front beams to earth them, hopefully it will be ok,

i dont think its a power issue more a shielding thing, the ballast use 12v 2amp, i have a simular problem at work when networking and have to use shielded cableing which is wraped in foil.

i did fit my halogen bulbs today and drive the car to the body shop to have it all colour coded, with no probs,

hopefully wont have any issues when i get the car back thursday......de-day!!!

hooooraaaaa.... success, the foil and earthing worked a treat!!!!

word of advice guy...
1/ dont buy cheap hid kits
2/ make sure you earth your ballasts
3/ wraping the wires in foil helps loads

the ballast are made of a cast metal and even though i got a cheapy kit, they came with metal mounting brackets, which the ballasts slide into.

Just bolted these directly onto the front beams of the car, they run from the bulkhead to the bumper mounts, and are directly under the headlights,

i also noticed on ebay a guy was selling the proper audi retro kit with the original ballast you would get if the car was originally kited with xenons, and all the wireing was shielded, hence the foil idea,

allot of messing about but i think it was a lesson well learnt!

i'm gonna post some pics of the car today, got it back looking a shiney and chip free, !!!