1st -2nd

chris_20

Reaction score
alright folks, seem to have a prob with my 1.9tdi. when i change from 1st -2nd the whole car judders violently as though its gonna stall. this doesnt happen all the time. would it have something to do with me not keeping the revs up or would it be something more in depth?

any thoughts

cheers

What sort of speed are you doing when you change up? I'm assuming you're using the pedal to the left of the brake pedal when you change gears:laugh:

Haha, god i knew it would be something simple. nah its just when i set off from lights or something say bout 10mph, im not ragging it or anything when it happens

I think maybe 10mph is a bit too slow for 2nd gear. I'm trying to remember my 1.9, but it's been more than a year now. You need to bear in mind that the power and torque on this engine is very low below 1500rpm, so keep the revs up over that and you shouldn't feel any judder. Do you get judder in 1st gear when you pull away? If you do, it may point to a clutch problem, but if it's smooth from standstill, your clutch is ok.

yer its cool when setting off in first, maybe its just that im still not used to a diesel engine, i musta stalled it a million times the first few days i had it. ill keep an eye on it i think and report back. cheers arthur your a gent