notchy / crunchy gear change

technics100

Reaction score
I just bought me 2001 130 sport avant and the gear change is a bit on the crunchy side, it has a bit of bother going into 1st and then from 1st to 2nd. Are there any wearable parts in the gear linkage that could be at fault and that could be replaced to make this better?

yep, my 2001 A4 2.0L SPORT is the same! Coming up to junctions I just put it in 2nd as I can't be assed to p*ss round trying to put it into 1st. I've always had VW golfs prior to this and they have ALL been the same!

Would be interested to know if anyone has ever fixed this problem? I got talking to a guy in a gearbox shop once and he told me these gears will always be like the (perticually when cold) due to the material the parts are made from..

Hmmm ??

technics100 said:
I just bought me 2001 130 sport avant and the gear change is a bit on the crunchy side, it has a bit of bother going into 1st and then from 1st to 2nd. Are there any wearable parts in the gear linkage that could be at fault and that could be replaced to make this better?

Did you get it from a Garage?? Cant remember whether you said you did or not, If so then take it back and tell them.

Car bought privately, its not that bad, I was just wonderinf if there may be rubber bushes that would wear causing a notchy feeling...there are bound to be some bushes on the linkage??