All smokey after re map.

46TheDoctor

Valentino Rossi A.K.A The Doctor
Reaction score
Hi gents, had my 130pd sport remapped last week and to be fair she is an absolute dream to drive, driveability is hugely improved as is acceleration, but i have noticed huge plooms of blackish blueish smoke in the rearviev mirror, largely if i accelerate from under and then through the turbos max boost ie 15-1600 rpm, as i get a kick in the *** i get a ploom of smoke, i know diesels smoke but it does seem a little excessive and she seems quite clean after initial boost up so its only when the turbo initially comes in then clears, is this just cos its tuned up or do i have a problem either with my map or car. But i never noticed this before remap. A cry to all you guys who had remaps done, do yours smoke???????????????:motz:

Mine aint diesel mate but the first day mine was map'd I had a few puffs of smoke on Boost, I just put it down to it having a good clearout!!!

Its gone now - :o.k:touch wood.

Have you drove it alot since your map?? Gave it some??

Is it always the same volume of smoke or does it look like its getting less??

all chipped diesels put out smoke, thats a little unburnt fuel as safety to make sure there is always more fuel than air so your engine doesn't go pop. diesels are under much higher compression than petrol, you can imagine this would be a problem
however to make it look cleaner sometimes the fuel is cut back to make it inline with the air coming in so no excess fuel no smoke. i think you are on the safer side with your smoker, no risk of a very lean compression

Mine did this so i bought a new air filter and two bottles of wyanns injector cleaner and it was a good bit less.But diesels do tend to give one puff just before the turbo comes in.As the fuel goes in there isnt enough air then in comes the turbo and then all the the torque so for that second or two its normal to get a tiny puff

Cheers for your help guys, there is an awful lot of smoke to the point where you see people in cars behind pointing and cursing, also the smell of diesel fumes can be smelt in the car whilst your on the move, my mates had his done and his has a lot less smoke, a bit more than standard but you certainly cant see it climbing up the back window under acceleration.:tumble:

Sounds like its smoking a little too much for it to be down to just a good clear out imo. you also said you mates aint as bad as that. I take it you have booked it in for them to have a look at it.

Yes for sure he coming out saturday and he reckons he can solve the smoke quite easily, think ill have it turned back a few clicks in the name of longevity:o.k:

Mine smoked before I had the remap done and is pretty much the same aftewards. In the first few weeks I seemed to have a heavier right foot mind but that calmed down of late.
Saying that I've had to but up with a tractor like A3 2.0TDi for the last 10 days so I think my foot may get heavy again once I'm back in my car.
I cant elieve how much noisier the A3 is compared to my A4 though, I'm sure they cant all be this noisy.

It was noticeable as soon as I dropped my car off and set off in the A3. Its a courtesy car from a bodyshop so i've wondered whether the car, even though its only got 3k miles on it, has maybe had a knock and some deadening stuff not put back after a repair?????

Get mine back tomorrow though so I'll see if its noticeably quieter.

Funny you should mention but i was driving my dads 53plate A3 2.0 TDI on friday and i mentioned to him how much more obvious it was that you were driving a diesel than my A4, sorry to all you A3 guys but what is also amazing is how ford/vauxhall like the build quality is on an A3 compared to an A4. The whole package feels a whole lot less well put together and feels like its made by a different manufacturer.:faint:

Maybe its not thethe A3 I have then, but even my Dad noticed it was noticeable compared to his 54 plate Passat 130. Its a lot slower than mine too but thats down to the remap. :) :)