help with cruise retro fitting

cheech

Reaction score
hi
can anybody here help me ?
new a4 owner excellant car ... but ( i Feel ) lacking cruise control !

ive looked into pricing up cc kit but local audi stealers say may need new ECU ?

they said you could tell with diagnostics ....

so im going to order VAG COM hex-usb can from Gendan.co

but dont really now much about where to start looking ?
what in vag-com am i looking for ? to say if ECU is needed ?

its a 2003 A4 v6 tdi Quattro Sport 180 ps
ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED

thx

Cheech

Thats interesting .... I own a 2002 A4 and am looking into Cruise control as well, but no one has told me that. I'll have to ask the person thats going to fit it next week. If I find out I'll let you know

What a load of BS from the stealers - all you need is a new stalk and someone to program it via vag-com!

The parts will cost you about £150 - £180.

so when i connect upto vag com what should i be lookin for ?

parts via stafford audi on E*ay are cc kit £125 + lower cowling for £25

he said that the car needs ecu situated under dash or wing on o/s

and can only tell when connected upto Diagnostis machine ?

ive ordered VAG-COM HEX-USB CAN so should be here Tues

How do i activate cc in main ECU ?

Thanx
Cheech

Right I have some more info for you, If your steering wheel isn't multi function you will need to change your steering column ecu! If you have a multi function wheel then you should be ok.
I haven't so I need the Ecu

BUT, some model years came out with the upgraded steering column ecu even though they didn't have multi-function steering wheels. My 2001 B6 A4 didn't, but my 2003 B6 A4 did have the upgraded steering column ecu and it hasn't got a multifunction steering wheel. It depends on how honest your dealer is. I used Links Audi for both my cruise retro-fits, and on my second one, they were honest and told me that they had found that my cars ecu was an upgraded one. I don't know the part numbers, is there any way you can get to yours to check it's part no?

You may be right arthurfuxake mine is a 2002 B6 and the guy who will fit it is an Audi guy who works for himself and is highly recommended and he told me mine wont have it. So maybe they put it in later?

the total cost of supplying the parts and carrying out the fitting and coding procedure will be in the region of £290 inclusive. The parts required are Control lever, ECU and lower steering coloum couling.

VTEC_Killer said:
What a load of BS from the stealers - all you need is a new stalk and someone to program it via vag-com!
That wasn't true when I retro-fitted cruise control to my 2004 B6 S4. The factory had fitted a "down market" version of the SCSM (steering column switch module) which wouldn't accept the coding for cruise control - so as well as the cruise switch and steering column trim I had to buy a new SCSM.

Thanx to all for replies :icon_thumright:

due to all replies with helpfull hints links etc

ive managed to work my new HEX CAN USB + vag com out (i think ... Lol )

to get to conclusion that i have the Wheel Ecu that is not compatable with cruise :( .. (the one with part number ending F )

meaning that new ecu is needed
i also think that ive managed to work out my login for ecu ( not tried yet )

so when i get parts which should be Tues am im on the job of fitting cc

Parts will cost ( from Stealers )

new SCM £ 103
cc kit £ 114.89
new bottom cowling £20.80

all + VAT minus 12.5 % Trade Discount

Thx again :respekt:

Cheech

hi
can anyone help me find
VALID LOGIN CODES FOR ENGINE 1 + STEERING 16 ?

i thought i had them but they dont work

many thx
Cheech

hi can any 1 help ?

ive fitted cc today BUT CANNOT ENABLE IN ECU ?

ive also managed to break main beam stalk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
( new stalk here 2morrow )

the question is ive gone to

engine1 then coding

entered : 11463

Do it

BUT THIS IS NOT WORKING ?

WHEN IVE DONE THE ABOVE I STILL CANNOT GET THE GREEN CRUISE LIGHT WHEN PUTTING IGNITION ON ?

please help

many tyhx
Cheech

The green cruise light only comes on above a certain speed IIRC 25mph I assume that is what you mean by putting the ignition on.

Have you checked the clutch pedal switch ?

There have been quite a number of cases where a faulty clutch pedal switch would not let the cruise control activate.

@ Timps

was lookin into clutch switch
on tyresmoke they were saying a blue clutch switch , mine is WHITE ?

could this be prob ?

how can i check clutch switch ?

thx

cheech

ps

HOW CAN I CHECK IF CC IS ENABLED IN ECU ?

WHAT I MEANT BY GREEN LIGHT WAS I THOUGHT IT WOULD SHOW WHEN YOU PUT IGNITION ON ? ie with rest of ign lights ?

thx again

Yes the clutch switch could be the problem & Audi do have a habit of changing colours.

You can check in vag com by pushing the clutch peddle and see if it alters the readings in the Measuring blocks.

You should also see changes in code when moving the cruise control stalk in VAG com on the ecu also in the measuring blocks.

The green light only comes on if you activate the cruise control above a certain speed (IIRC its 25 mph) below this speed and the light will not activate even on a fully functioning cruise control.

measuring block information:

066,0,Cruise Control System
066,1,Vehicle Speed,(current)
066,2,Switch Positions I
; 1xxx = Cruise Control System active
; x1xx = Clutch operated (always 1 with Automatic Transmission)
; xx1x = Brake operated (Brake Pedal Switch)
; xxx1 = Brake operated (Brake Light Switch)
066,3,Vehicle Speed,(specified)
066,4,Switch Positions II

sorry for being thick !!!!!!!!!

you say in measuring blocks ?
i take it you mean 01 engine , measuring blocks 08 then block 66 ?

thx
Cheech

:icon_thumright: UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!

CRUISE IS FULLY WORKING ..........

THX TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP

WHAT WAS THROWING ME WAS THAT EVERY OTHER MAKE OF CAR I HAVE DRIVEN WITH CRUISE CONTROL FITTED ALL SHOWED THE CRUISE LIGHT ON WHEN YOU TURNED THE IGNITION ON .........

BUT NOT ON MY A4 QUATTRO SPORT !

:icon_thumright:

cheech