Problem with Softtop window

totopsgr

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am new here and I want urgent advise. I own an A4 3.0 convertible model 2003 with black soft top. The rear view window slowly but steadily gets "unstack" from the soft top cloth. It seems that at some point it is just going to fall off inside the car. Is there a special glue I can use to fix it? I hope I don't need to change the whole soft top.

Regards

AT

Hi , now I am going to check mine, the rear window is heavy so it's going to have to be some seriosuly strong glue.
sorry I can't help but since you pointed this out, I am slightly paranoid and will check mine
cheers

GFORCE said:
Hi , now I am going to check mine, the rear window is heavy so it's going to have to be some seriosuly strong glue.
sorry I can't help but since you pointed this out, I am slightly paranoid and will check mine
cheers
It started getting unstack at the bottom right corner of the window and expanded uniformly almost at the midlle on the way to the top right corner and the middle of the way to the bottom left corner...now it started on the other side...unless I glue it NOW it is going to fall inside the car! Quick check on the net I did found that there are other people who experience this!

from

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-readers.aspx?RT=697

reviewer Deb Stewart says:

"
I have an Audi A4 Cabroliet 3.0.(2003) I am very concerned about the defect I have experienced in the soft-top. At 50,000 miles, the back window has separated from the convertible top. I cannot believe that they can make a car with a window that cannot stay on the top. The window could not be bonded back onto the top instead I was told that the entire top needed to be replaced. The replacement cost for this soft-top a whooping $6,000.00. and not guaranteed to not happen again. I have contacted other dealerships and was told that they have seen this problem. Has anyone out there ever experienced this? This is a major defect with this car."

The above is not encouraging. Today I am going to try UHU superglue. I will let you know of the results.

Regards

AT

Superglued the window to the softtop using UHU superglue. IT took ages cause I was doing 5 cm at a time and waited till it gets fixed before moving forward.

Unpleasant realisation:

You can not restore the tension of the cloth back to position onse it gets unstack. That creates a 3-5mm frame that wasn't there before and the previous adhesive of grey white colour is visible. I covered it with extra glue which removes the grey/white colour and turns it to black. We will see how it looks in a few hours.

Anyway I have a very bad gut feeling that I am just delaying the inevitable...replacing the whole soft top, which propably costs a fortune... :(
I will keep you posted..

Regards

AT

Sorry to hear of you problem it doesn't sound very good from a car of this make. You could ring this company and just have a word with them.
They may be able to give you some advice (they may even be able to sort it) I notice they don't have Audis on their list but I found it for my Lancia.
Hope it helps

http://www.prestigeautotrim.com/info/about.htm