HELP NEEDED! - Flat Spot/Hesitation/Misfire

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced , or does anyone know what might be the cause of, this?

I have an 2003 A4 2.4 petrol V6, the 170ps version, with a multitronic box. I used to think the multi suffered from a slight judder when taking off from a standstill, but have now realised it's not the box at all, it's the engine. What I'm experiencing is what feels like a slight misfire or throttle hesitation round about the 1800 rpm mark, the speed at which the multitronic initially holds the engine for a normal to brisk step off. It's only fleeting (certainly gone by 2000 rpm when accelerating) but if I put it in neutral & feed in just enough throttle to hold the revs around 1800 rpm, it is definitely there.

Thoughts, anyone?

I am experiencing exactly the same problem which became very intense at some point and totally puzzled the workshop I get my car to. They have done something to improve it but it never really got away. What they did was that they changed a few sparkplugs that seemed to gone off. Additionally the have done something with the airflow to the engine. As said..the problem never really got away, but greatly improved, it doesn't happen all the time anymore, but very rarely. Now I am facing other problems...this car was never ok at everything.