Replacement air filter for TDi

Marko

Reaction score
I've looked at a few past threads re K&N air filters. Most refer to petrol engines. Has anyone replaced their standard filter with a K&N on 1.9TDi. I've heard they can confuse the maf sensors and in some cases cause excessive smoking.

Also, do they really make any difference? I'm about to replace my filter and am not sure whether to get OEM or try K&N. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Regards

Ive just took a cone filter off my TDI,It actually reduced the smoke but the induction noise wasn't for me.

Not tried a k+n panel filter.Doubt it will make any difference over a standard paper one.

A straight panel swap won't make any difference at all (although an induction kit will), the stock paper filter is pretty freeflowing to start with. I've swapped my K&N back to stock paper on my 2.8Q as didn't want to get issues with oil on the MAF, made absolutely no difference at all.

hmmm...well if its been reported that it makes no difference, and if you change it, you may get MAF problems, i'm almost certainly gonna stick with the stock paper filter.

Im not covinced that these filters do damage the MAF.Ive used cone filters on all my previous turbo cars and not had a problem with any of them.Lots of people get problems with the MAF even with standard paper fiter,myself included.Think you made the right choice,stick with the paper one.

james0808 said:
Im not covinced that these filters do damage the MAF.Ive used cone filters on all my previous turbo cars and not had a problem with any of them.Lots of people get problems with the MAF even with standard paper fiter,myself included.Think you made the right choice,stick with the paper one.

hmmmm well before my A4, i used to have a W 2000 reg SXI Corsa (infact that ive still got, an want to sell) and i replaced teh MAF on that (was using a K&N cone filter on it). i think i might put it in the classified ads on here........and the auto trader...

clean the MAF it doesnt damage it, it just dirtys it- slighty quicker than standard!

On top of the bit that screws to the top of the airbox, where the cable is connected. You need a security torx bit to remove the MAF.

Ah ha, thought it may be that. I'm fitting a new filter at the weekend so I'll have a nosey. Many Thanks AndyMac.

Have now got a K&N panel filter on my 1.8T cab. Loads of the guys in USA are using K&N panels too. My panel filter has freed up the engine slightly and a bit more induction noise. I used to have a Carbionio filter on my Octy and really miss the sound !
Happy with the K&N (Especially when it came from Ebay second hand for £11 delivered). The guy had removed it from his TDI. K&Ns website is quite good for product applications

Hope this helps

Andy