very odd!!!

tommyt2

Reaction score
Heres the problem my 2.5 tdi 180 bhp a4 has developed a lag problem.When pulling away from crosses in first if i dont rev the engine enough in first so that when i change into 2nd its above two thousand revs it lags for a few seconds.Now ive heard people talking about this before but this just came into my car about a month ago, My car is mapped with almost a year and it was good and pulled real strong.Also ive noticed it has gotten smokey at high speeds when im booting it around 100mph i can see the smoke in the headlights of cars behing me.The air flow metre is about 3 months old got it from the dealer and ive also replaced all 3 valves two behind the passenger head light and one up on the drivers side bulk head.also i feel the car just doesn;t have the same pull it had, as my friends bora is quicker any ideas anyone?Air filter is new as is the diesel filter so im stumped.Help!!!!

Have you had your Diverter valve checked by any chance???

Well im not sure which valve that is, i bought all the valves one which is the n75 valve and one for the egr not sure what the other one was but two were behind the passenger headlight, and the other one was up by the turbo.What does the diverter valve do and what would the symptoms be.....

Some of the symptoms are what you are getting can be down to a leaky Diverter valve, Yes its the one closest to the turbo.
Im not 100% but im just throwing a few ideas to your solution.

Have you noticed a different sound on Boost??

Alright thanks for that, ive booked it in to the dealers fot tuesday so maybe they can find something.Going putting in a new pipe between the turbo and the intercooler it has a small weep of oil on it and a new engine breather filter and two rocker gaskets in about an hour so maybe the pipe or filter may help.By the way your car looks very nice job well done:thumbsup:

Yes you never know mate, You might come across the Problem then, Keep your eyes Peeled, sometimes these things can be the littlest thing it amazes you!!:icon_thumright:

I mentioned the Diverter valve because on my last turbo'd car (not the Audi) I had a split diaphram and it went a little how you described yours.

...oh and thanks for the Kind comments.:)

does the a4 tdi 130 have a engine breather filter? If so can you tell me where and how it comes off so i can give it a good clean,with some de-greaser,like to keep on top of things,so everythings running sweet!

J7USS said:
Some of the symptoms are what you are getting can be down to a leaky Diverter valve, Yes its the one closest to the turbo.
Im not 100% but im just throwing a few ideas to your solution.

Have you noticed a different sound on Boost??

Do you get a diverter valve on a diesel?

james0808 said:
Do you get a diverter valve on a diesel?

theres no diverted fitted std to 1.9 PD engines - 20vt yes, but not the diesels

just to update got the car sorted it was the temp sender on the passenger inter cooler had gone faulty it does two things measure boost and air temp but it wasnt measuring the temp so was cutting the car back.easy to fit just removed the passenger headlamp and changed it.Car is now a rocket again :o.k: