Registration plate

WilkoS5

Reaction score
This might sound like a silly question, but what's the best way to get the reg plate off. I'm assuming that it's just stuck on? Do I need to break it to get it off? :think:

There should be a couple of yellow or black 'caps' which you take off and unscrew the screw to release the plate.

They're normally stuck on with double sided tape, if it doesn't have any visible screw mounts just pull it, it will most likely break, but then again thats a good thing, stops people nicking your plates.

I took mine off recently to put my private plate on - sat their with a hairdryer warming the plate hence the tape behind for a good ten minutes, my nephew came along grabbed the plate and with a bit of brute force just took it off - 10 seconds front and back. I looked like a complete fool. Good luck.

if its stuck on get a walpaper scraper cover it with masking tape and carefully slide it down behind the plate all the way along to cut through the double sided tape. should be able to get it off without damage to car or plate.

SteveS said:
if its stuck on get a walpaper scraper cover it with masking tape and carefully slide it down behind the plate all the way along to cut through the double sided tape. should be able to get it off without damage to car or plate.

Thanks chaps I'll try this option first followed by the brute force one. I take it I'll need to use some acetone or equivalent (I don't want to take the paint off though!) to clean up the bumper ready to stick on the new plate?