New Brake Pads

pav-g

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just a quick question just had new brake pads put on over weekend, changed both the rears and fronts but whenever I press the brake they shriek - sound like a bus. I dont remember having this problem on any of my previous cars. Shall I wait a few days for them to embed or get them checked out.

PAV, have you lubed the backs of the pads? Copper greaese or Audi's 'Plastilube'? Stirling Audi gave me mines free of charge.

Cheers

Pads were fitted by an local reputable garage, so I would assume they would have used lube if thought appropriate. Im gonna give garage a call in morning and see what they say.

join the club man, mine sounds like a family of mice living under the arches. had them lubed and everything but nothing seems to be able to get rid of the squeeking! :(

Had new pads all round last week!
No 'bus' sounds, but didn't work too good for a couple of days!
Can stop now though!

Yeah mine dont half let off a scream - even in wet conditions. Im gonna live with it until weekend and if the noise still persists Im taking them back and getting them changed. Since saturday I must have done a couple of hundred miles so they should start to improve i.e. bed in.

thanks guys for your advise

Well I had them changed last weekend and apparently the front pads were faulty, I got a new set put on and since then no noise whatsoever. So its back to normality again.

So you guys with squeeking breaks - you dont have to live with the noise, get them checked and sorted.

How can a lump of metal be faulty???

strange???

me thinks they forgot the lube

A piece of metal can be faulty if the metal is warped. I watched them remove the pads and apparently they were slightly banana shaped i.e. middle part of the pad wasnt touching the disc (didnt sit flat) and this caused a streak of rust to gather on the disk itself where they missed. Oh well the new ones are right as rain thats what matters.

pav, do u mind me asking how much u paid? mine are still squeeking to hell and its driving me mad, ive had them lubed etc but no luck, think im just gonna ave to get new pads all round now

I'll dig out the reciept and let you know exactly how much I paid for them. I'll pm you later

just get the whole lot changed like i did....only £900 for disks and pads....GULP!!!

Yeah initially when I the brake light came up on the dash I went to dealers who quoted me £170 odd for the front pads plus vat for fitting and £180 for rears - I said no thank you and they charged me £21 for telling me the brake pads needed changing. Ripping off bastar*ds

that is a rip off mate, but not as bad as me i got 4 disks and 8 pads + fitting and VAT which is £870 odd quid