The S4 is just not for me........

gizze

Reaction score
I have decided that the S4 just isn't for me, don't get me wrong it is a very capable car, it gets you from A-B very quickly and with no drama, but I think that is the problem, it's just a bit dull.
As you know I also have a 1 series, and I have to be honest and say that is the more enjoyable car.

Shame, I adore the looks, I love the RNS-E and I much, much prefer the Audi image, but at the end of the day when both cars are on the drive it is always the BMW keys that go in my pocket.

Took the RS4 out again yesterday, and for a proper 45 min blast around the Cambridgeshire countryside, yes it is better and not so nose heavy, the engine does rev far better and it feels far more agressive, but it is really just more of the same, and I know after a month I would be bored. So that is now completely out of the picture.

So I am going to have a think what next. The A5 looks nose heavy again, so don't hold much hope for the B8, but I will wait to see what they say.
Ant and Pete are tuning the 335d to 360bhp and 750nm, so I think I may go with one of those, probably a touring and in M-Sport guise, 30+ mpg and quicker than the S4, plus the handling is divine when off the run flats.

Really wanted to love this car, we were going to keep it as the family wagon, but we are just fighting over who gets to take the BMW, not good after 3 weeks of ownership when the new car feeling should still be there, so best to get out now and take the hit. :(

I can see why people like them though, and compared to just about every other car out there it is a gem, just not for me.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?p=327780#post327780

I know exactly what your saying, I had to buy my A4 for convenience. My last several cars including 2 convertibles, 3 coupes have all been BMW's last one being an E46 330ci but the kids are growing up and as I do the school run in the morning as its on way to work my boys hated getting out of the back and scuffed the leather on many occassions. We didnt like the saloon version and the new E90 is pretty expensive so opted for the A4 1.8T 190 Sport.

Kids love and and Ive got used to the practicality of it, no probs for for kids getting in and out and I surprised myself as to how well it handles and drives. Love playing with the turbo through the gears, even though nowhere near powerful as your S4 but enough for me. Funny thing is I still look at the new 530's and get tempted every time. the quedos you get from a bm you cannot get from any other car. Good luck in selling your S4 and good luck with your new BMW

Sorry to hear that Gizze...

Love mine and am hoping to enjoy even more on track too. Having said that I haven't driven the 335d or indeed the 535d, so can't compare.

Would love to get back into 30+mpg though !!

Gizze

Real sorry to hear the S4 isn't for you, but hey, each to their own!
I came from a BMW 330i sports - liked the car, but not the BMW image!
Saying that, i like the look of the 335d M-Sport touring - so good look if you're after one of those!

Did you ever go down the route of the one side resonated
and one side non-resonated with the Miltek exhaust, if so how was it??

Seen the add for your car - don't think you'll have any probs selling it!
Toying with the idea of changing mine for an A4 2.0 TDI S line Special Edition.

Anyway, all the best!

Keef

The more I use the S4 the more I like it actually, I like it more now than I did when I first got it, however I now have knocked the 335d sport touring idea on the head and I'm after a facelift 911. I have the 120d for when we need a sensible car (and a Thule roof box when needed) so I am going to get something fun that really hasn't got alot of money left to loose.

Good luck with it and I would go for a 911 over a BMW anyday of any year...
I agree, its the image of BMW I wouldnt live with, the M3 is a great car.
Not sure if you have owned porsche before but I loved mine over the 8 years I owned them (as second cars). They are as much fun to own as to drive... better get yourself over to porschaforum.com ... great bunch of guys over there I go driving with...
Good luck with it, If you dont need the practicality the S4 has, thenfor my money its a 911!..