1.8T QUATTRO TYRES

busboyt2

Reaction score
Car currently has Continental Sport Contact 2 235 45 r17 tyres on it and am about to change them all as they are getting near to the limit.

I have been quoted £452 for a set of 4 of the above by my local tyre fitter. I called my local Audi dealer to see if they had any more thoughts as to what I should be going for and if they know of any alternatives.

They came up witha price of £680 for the Continentals!!!!! but suggested a Dunlop tyre of the same size for £608!!

This makes me wonder what alternatives are out there, is the Dunlop tyre a good choice? if so I could probably get my local guy to get them in for me and they would probably be cheaper that the Conti's.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick

2003 1.8T Quattro Sport

I would put a set of 18" replicas and tyres on for about £550, I'm sure tyre choice isn't of paramount important since you have quattro..

Tyre choice is always of paramount importance!!!!

I'm also looking for new tyres. I've got pzero rossos at the moment, but I'm not impressed with them. Goodyear F1 GSD3's always get mentioned, and are very tempting price wise, but they look very chav(if a tyre can look chav?). Conti's and michelins are very pricy, but are good tyres. I don't know what to do, I was so sure when I bought the pzero's and am dissapointed, so I'm nervous about my next set.

arthurfuxake, i have got the same lump as you, when i had my 17's the best set i used where dunlop sp9000, couldn't fault 'em, low road noise and very grippy

on my 18's at the moment i have got toyo t1r's, the road noise has increased slightly (but that because the ratio's have come down) and as yet i haven't had any problems with grip throughout the winter (if thats what you can call it!)

Don't seem to be any sp9000's, have they been replaced by sp9090's?

I've spent some time researching now, and Toyo Proxes T1-R's are getting some good reports, also look a bit chav, guess I'm gonna have to get over the looks and focus solely on the performance.

Anyone have any reports on these? Are they better than the Goodyear F1's?

Arthurfuxake,
I have Toyos on my 18" wheels but unfortunately I have gone back to the 17"s for the winter so cant really comment on performance on the Audi just yet, BUT I had both toyo proxes T1s and Goodyear F1 gsd3s on my Subaru and felt that the best alrounder was the Toyo. In the dry I didnt feel there was much of a difference between the two tyres with the goodyear possibly having the edge, but in the wet I felt the Toyo was a much better tyre, this coupled with the fact that the toyos lasted longer I would always choose them in front of the Good year. Worst, most expensive tyres I ever bought were Pzero nero asssimetrico, absolute pants! Unsure of cost now but another brilliant tyre for a four wheel drive car was the bridgestone potenza, again huge amounts of grip in both wet and dry but as with most soft compounds dont tend to last well.
Also try this lot for prices: http://www.blackcircles.com/ and http://www.mytyres.co.uk/
Hope this helps

Dougie

Ive got Dunlop sp9090 on my 2.0 Avant, they are very grippy and a bit of a snip at £88 each.