Possible New B6 TDI Owner

emzino

Reaction score
Hello there. I have been apart of the Audi-Sport forums for a while now and although I haven't posted much it's because i'm trying to read and learn as much as I can :)

Now I have been saving for quite a while my budget of 10k is not quite enough to get my desired A3 2.0TDI (8P) but I can get the lush A4 1.9TDI 130 (B6).

The whole point of this thread is to kindly ask if some of you could give me some advice on:
- What to look for when I goto see one?
- Any common faults that I should watch out for?
- When I check the service history, what should I want to see fixed/changed the most?
- Whats standard with the SE & Sport spec?
- Do you get Xenons with the B6's?
- Should I really hold out for the 6speed manual gearbox instead of the 5speed?

Many thanks in advance and appreciate any kind of input.

Kind regards,

Emrah

I would personally look for one with either the GMbH or Vortex kit on - it does make the car stand out compared to to non-kit cars!

From what I have read; there are some minor issues such as Temp sensor going faulty (i.e. it remains at 50c even though the car is up to temp)

- When I check the service history, what should I want to see fixed/changed the most?
Obviously make sure it has full service history. Depending on mileage; cambelt/tensioners should be changed at 60K

Not too sure but I think the Multi Function stering wheel was on the SE; as was cruise control and maybe rear electrics - i'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

Only if the original buyer opted for these or if it is a S4 - but you can get after market Xenons kits which are just like OEM

6 speed mate

:icon_thumright:

Sheraz

The whole point of this thread is to kindly ask if some of you could give me some advice on:
- What to look for when I goto see one?
As per above, the temp sensor may be broken or on the blink. The fuel economy will tell you whether the sensor is broken or the coolant system needs attention.
Ideally nothing should be changed too frequently! Light bulbs, cam belt, water pump and tensioners at 60-80k...
Aah, this conversation again! My 2.5TDI Sport has the lower sport suspension set up, sport seats with lumbar support, 17" alloys and arm rest; my 2.0 SE had DIS, 16" alloys and no arm rest. However, the specs change frequently and obviously cars can be specced up. The easiest way to tell is maybe from the drive which will be much firmer and more stable with the sport suspension. (Though not very comfortable on rough surfaces!)
As above - depends on options
Yep, 6 speed.
Emrah[/quote]

I thank you both very much. I'm defo gonna hold out for the 6speed then :D lol
As for the spec I guess I don't mind aslong as it's SE or Sport :) I'm not sure if it'll have the bodykit but if not, is it expensive to put on?
Same goes for the OEM HID Kit for the B6, is it expensive & hard to put on?

Many thanks again, gonna jot it all down :)

6 speed 130 is the one you want, sport seats are a must even if you get just cloth and Quattro if you can stretch thoose pennys of course!!

S-line and vortx Body kit is cheap as chips, although after having the s-line kit for a while now im changing to a reiger kit this week. im selling my kit to a fellow member(sorry for delay) but if he isnt interested any more ill let you all know!

HID kits are are available from £120 - £200+ - pretty easy job to retro-fit too!

I paid £200 for mine and defo worth the money!

I just got my black 53-reg A4 TDi Sport Avant 130 with 6 speed and S-Line kit and can definitely vouch for the above mentioned. The extra kit does make it stand out from those that don't and having Xenons is a must for night driving.
Hope you find the one you want.

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I've jotted it all down and i'm definitley gonna follow it all up.
I'll also definitely hold out for the 6speed gearbox too. Since the Xenons don't cost that much to retro fit plus it ain't that hard, it isn't a MUST HAVE on the car.
Im also very glad to hear about the body kits not being stupidly cheap because i'll be getting one of those shortly after purchasing the A4.

Really looking forward to it so i'll keep you all updated.

Thank you again :D

Oh one more question, if I was to get it remapped, what kind of performance gains should I expect?