Audi A4 Avant 1.8 T 190BHP 2004

Cravenbantam

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to purchase the above and was wondering what common faults or things i should be looking for?????????

Cheers in advance:icon_thumright:

Jamie

Know they have issues with coil packs.

Definately coil pack, although I had mine replaced under a recall in 2004. I have the 163ps and the only other main issue I have is stalling. Refer to http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=34947 on this site.

A friend has the 150bhp A3 and had a similar stalling problem to mine, but the remedy seem to be different, which is confusing.

I am certainly happy with the performance and consumption of mine.

Well i've only gone and done it!!!!!!!!!!

I'm now the proud owner of a 2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T 190 S-Line.

It is in Akoya Silver metallic, 18 inch RS6 Alloy's, silver half leather interior, 6 disc front load CD................................. Mint!!!

Only one thing it seems a bit sluggish, or it may be me as my other car is a VW Bora Highline TDI 130bhp and it just doesn't seem to have the get up and go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any view's on this or is it just me?

Cheers

Firstly congrats, by sounds of it youve got a beautiful piece of motor there. My 1.8T is also on a 04 plate and re your prob with it being sluggish, this could be down to the type of fuel you use. I feed mine on Shell Optimax and its like rocket fuel compared to the normal unleaded. Well worth the extra 10p a litre. Couple of times I used morrisons petrol and my car didnt like that at all, became sluggish so straight back to optimax.

Cool, sounds really nice. It's not quite the same because I have the 163ps, but my father has the previous shape Seat Toledo with the 130 TDI engine and although I use el-cheepo unleaded, I couldn't help but notice how much more punchier the Seat is. I think weight plays a part as well, since my Audi seems much more solid and poised. (Both are sports)

But overall, the Audi feels so much more refined through the gears with its extra stretch, out performing the Seat 0-60 and making acceleration more comfortable. If it wasn't for my stalling problem, I would say there is not much in it between the Audi's 5th gear (no sixth on my model 70k on clock) and the Seats 6th on the motorway (60k on clock).

I am a bit of a lazy driver, but I really like the fact that when I have to slow down to 25-30mph, I can leave the car in fifth, then it does all the work itself on re-accelleration. The other thing is, I don't care what people say, unless you are driving in 6th gear, the TDI is a noisy engine.

Do I sound like an old man....:rockwoot:

Cheers for the replies, i'll put it on the computer at work tomorrow and i'll see if there's any faults in it.

Just doesn't seem right.

good choice in car!! I recently have just also got a 2004 1.8T Sport (190) Quattro Avant with part leather/alcantara. Part Ex'ing my 2003 1.9TDi (130) sport avant.

The petrol is much quicker - but it has to be driven hard to appreciate it, if you go from an oil burner it will feel slow as you haven't got the low down power. The 1.8T comes alive past 4000rpm - all the way to the red line (just watch your fuel consumption go down - if you drive hard you can get well under 20mpg!!!)

Congrat's, Great car, I had the saloon version and loved every inch of it, I had to trade it for a 163 Avant s-line as the family expanded, I really miss the 30ps and especially the 6th gear, It was never a sluggish car so I would get it checked out, It always seems slow until you look at your speedo, the cars are so well put together and road holding is excellent. I always use 95 ron unleaded as it is all I can get in my area and the car always felt quick, I would have loved to have driven one that was always using 98 ron + just to make a comparison.
Good luck with the motor!

Cravenbantam said:
Well i've only gone and done it!!!!!!!!!!

I'm now the proud owner of a 2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T 190 S-Line.

It is in Akoya Silver metallic, 18 inch RS6 Alloy's, silver half leather interior, 6 disc front load CD................................. Mint!!!

Only one thing it seems a bit sluggish, or it may be me as my other car is a VW Bora Highline TDI 130bhp and it just doesn't seem to have the get up and go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any view's on this or is it just me?

Cheers

Nice car. I'm sure you'll be very happy.

My one has done 17k now and hasn't missed a beat. I love it to bits.

I'd say the TDi will have a bit more punch, 210lbft vs 188 of the 1.8t. You have to drive them differently. The torque on the 1.8t is flat from 1950rpm to 5000rpm, says it all really. Get a remap you'll forget about the Bora then ;)

BUB :beerchug:

Cheers Guy's,i put it on the computer today and guess what..................
No Faults Reconised!!!!!!!
Must be just me then.

Any idea's if rear parking sensors can be fitted to the avant (genuine audi accessory), as the rear crash absorber look's to go to the top of the bumper.
Ive previously fitted some to a A4 Cab, but this looks slightly different.

Do Audi A4's also suffer from the pollen filter seal perishing, as like the VW Passat does, if so i'll do this too!

Just giving the car some T.L.C first, and a cherished number swap before it comes on the road!!!