A4 Advice

rashpal1

Reaction score
Hi Guys..
Just after some advice, if you don’t mind.
I’m soon to be a Dad and currently have a 2001 Audi S3 which I have to now sell due to Pram not being able to fit in the boot and problems getting a childseat in and out of the back of the car.
I have thought about getting either a A4 Quattro 3.0 V6 Sport or a Quattro 2.5 TDi Sport, just wanted to know what experiences people have had with these particular models and if they suffer from any major problems. What should I look out for when buying one?
I have heard from a friend who works for Audi that the 2.5 TDi is notorious for oil leaks from the sump and that the whole subframe needs to be dropped to fix the problem.. Is this true, or is he telling me porky’s ??
Thanks
Pal

If you do a lot of miles why not go for a younger 1.9TDi quattro and get it remapped? Far more around, engine is rock solid and you'll get 45+mpg?

AndyMac said:
If you do a lot of miles why not go for a younger 1.9TDi quattro and get it remapped? Far more around, engine is rock solid and you'll get 45+mpg?

I cannot believe that anyone could average 45mpg from even a standard 1.9 Quattro. I struggle to get over 40 from our FWD Sport.

When I had a 2.0TDi 170 Quattro Avant it was giving low 30s on the DIS.

I know nothing of the reliability of the two cars that the OP has mentioned but I would advise going for an Avant as we find the boot of our saloon big but the opening is too small for many items to get in. This wasn't a problem until we had to start loading a pram in and out.

I'd get yours checked as mine (1.9TDi 130) has averaged 48 mpg over the last 78 hours of driving, quite a bit stuck in rush hour traffic, but admittedly most of the actual miles are motorway.
Not sure what the quattro overhead is so maybe 40+ mpg is more realistic.
A 170 Quattro won't come close for obvious reasons (it's 30% more powerful).
They seem to have got the balance between performance/economy absolutely spot on on the 130. Works for me anyway.

AndyMac said:

When remapped how much extra power do you get, i was thinking of getting the 2.5 (180bhp) and mapping that. Surely the 1.9TDi can't match that. Also read alot of posts that the 2.5TDi sounds really good and performs well. MPG is not a real concern for me as i don't do that many miles.

Macduff said:
I cannot believe that anyone could average 45mpg from even a standard 1.9 Quattro. I struggle to get over 40 from our FWD Sport.

When I had a 2.0TDi 170 Quattro Avant it was giving low 30s on the DIS.

I know nothing of the reliability of the two cars that the OP has mentioned but I would advise going for an Avant as we find the boot of our saloon big but the opening is too small for many items to get in. This wasn't a problem until we had to start loading a pram in and out.

These prams seem to be causing too many problems!! lol
This is our first child and i think an Avant would be too big for us at this time.

The 1.9TDi is going to map to somewhere in the region of 165-170bhp. But you also have to take the extra weight of the 2.5 into consideration. I've seen a few guys who've diven/had both saying that the lighter 1.9 handles better too.

Since my FWD 1.9 was remapped I have seen an improvement in fuel economy too.

rashpal1 said:
These prams seem to be causing too many problems!! lol
This is our first child and i think an Avant would be too big for us at this time.

Dont expect the Avant to be very big, I'd say it was quite small compared to others in the class so it may be orth a closer look.

Whats is 1.9TDi Quattro like, is it alot slower then the 2WD because of the extra weight etc..

Does the stock (Quattro) car feel underpowered at all ?

Sinny71 said:
Dont expect the Avant to be very big, I'd say it was quite small compared to others in the class so it may be orth a closer look.

Not had a look at one yet, may go and have a look at one, and keep my options open..

Thanks

I have the 2.5TDi Quattro Sport (saloon) it's a heavy old beast with that v6 lump and 4wd system, but it feels solid.
The engine sounds superb, best and smoothest sounding diesel engine in the mainstream I would say.
It's the 370nm of torque that makes it a great drive, plus ample power throughtout the rev range. Pulls like a train ;-)

If you do consider the 1.9 with a view to getting it remappped, you really need a quattro to put the power down. I have to be very gentle in 1st and 2nd and in the wet it'll spin in 3rd.

VennyQuattro said:
I have the 2.5TDi Quattro Sport (saloon) it's a heavy old beast with that v6 lump and 4wd system, but it feels solid.
The engine sounds superb, best and smoothest sounding diesel engine in the mainstream I would say.
It's the 370nm of torque that makes it a great drive, plus ample power throughtout the rev range. Pulls like a train ;-)

Thanks for that, i like the sound of that.. 370Nm of torque and pulls like a train!

Is that 370Nm without a remap?

"MPG is not a real concern for me as i don't do that many miles."
Well don't get a diesel then. I was talking purely from an economy point of view. If I could get 48mpg from a 1.8T then I'd have a 1.8T in a flash.

rashpal1 said:
Not had a look at one yet, may go and have a look at one, and keep my options open..

Thanks

If you fancy a trip to Cambridge you can come see mine it's a 2,5 tdi avant 2wd :laugh: (pm if interested!)

As Andymac says if mileage isn't a problem why are you looking for a tdi ? Petrol would suit just as well :crying:

The 3.0 engine is actually really nice, it is so, so, so much lighter than teh 2.5tdi and I got 32mpg from my 2.5tdi and 27mpg from my 3.0 cab. The 3.0 will always be alot cheaper to start with too so probably about the same to run them both.

Take them out and decide for yourself.

Sinny71 said:
If you do consider the 1.9 with a view to getting it remappped, you really need a quattro to put the power down. I have to be very gentle in 1st and 2nd and in the wet it'll spin in 3rd.

I thought that may be the case, i was after the quattro anyway. Wife has a lead foot and it will be safer wil 4WD.. lol

Les 51 said:
If you fancy a trip to Cambridge you can come see mine it's a 2,5 tdi avant 2wd :laugh: (pm if interested!)

As Andymac says if mileage isn't a problem why are you looking for a tdi ? Petrol would suit just as well :crying:

I will let you know mate, really after a Quattro... Thanks will keep it in mind..

As i said at the beginning of the post, i'm looking at either the 3.0 V6 or the 2.5 tdi models just to keep my options open.. I don't mind having either, i suppose if i do get a tdi then it would be a bonus from the mpg side of things. I'm just after something that will have the same kind of power if not more as the S3 which i have to sell now..

Neither will.

The S3 is alot quicker than either the 3.0 or the 2.5tdi, I went from a 2.0tdi s-line A3 to my 3.0 cab and was very disapointed, comeing from an S3 you will be gutted!!

S4 is the only one worth looking at. ;)

Have a good look at the avant, I bought one a year ago expecting to have a family, that happened 5 weeks ago ! havn't been on any big trips away, but the pram chassis and the carry cot sit side by side on the floor of the estate, you've got the flexibility of height with the avant. its not massive as mentionjed earlier. i don't think the avant is any longer than the saloon, plus the avant looks better (IMHO)
chas

I bought a 1.8T Avant when we had our 1st baby. Main reason that I wasn't sure how much space I'd need with all it's gear, plus we had a dog so thought about keeping the interior (back seats) cleaner by keeping the hound in back.

You'll be quite surprised how much stuff babies need! I filled my Avant for a weekend away, and was shocked by it all! Even had a bag on the back seat!

As mentioned before the saloon is great but the aperture size is annoying.

As Gizze says S4 Avant all the way...

gizze said:
Neither will.

The S3 is alot quicker than either the 3.0 or the 2.5tdi, I went from a 2.0tdi s-line A3 to my 3.0 cab and was very disapointed, comeing from an S3 you will be gutted!!

S4 is the only one worth looking at. ;)

Oh well.. Would love to have an S4, but is over my budget at the moment.. The only ones i like are over the 20k mark, and it would be stupid of me to spend that kind of money at the moment.. :-(

I think i need to have a look at the A4 Saloon & Avant before i make any real decisions.. From the advise here i think i have to seriously consider an Avant..

Thanks guys..

rashpal1 said:
Thanks for that, i like the sound of that.. 370Nm of torque and pulls like a train!

Is that 370Nm without a remap?

"The new engine will be premiered in the Audi A6 and A6 Avant. With a power output of 132 kW (180 bhp) and a torque of 370 Nm all the way from 1500 rpm to 2500 rpm engine speed, it is among the world's leading series-production engines for specific power output, at 53 kW (72 bhp) per litre." :rock:

hxxp://www.audiworld.com/news/99/tdi/a6_tdi.shtml

I went from an S3 to a 1.9TDi quattro avant and the change was not too painful. I really loved the S3 bt the A4 has bags of torque and sticks to the road like the S3 did. the fuel consumption is nice too 100 miles from a tenner. The avant is no bigger than the saloon either. Go for it :thumbsup:

Ok finally done it, i went for the Saloon model rather then the Avant!

Here's the spec..

AUDI A4 3.0 Quattro Sport 4dr, Manual 6 speed, 2002 02 Reg, 46,000 miles, Met Silver. 1 FORMER KEEPER, FULL AUDI MAIN AGENT SERVICE RECORDS, 18" RS Alloy Wheels, Full Black Leather Alcantra Sports Int, Audi Symphony System Stereo, Bose Speaker Upgrade System, Air conditioning, Climate Control, Parktronic System, Electric Lumbar Support, Traction control, ESP, Aluminium Dash, Full Colour Coded Spec, Full Electric Options Pack, Front Fog Lights, ABS, Headlamp Wash, 4 x electric windows, CD, Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Computer, Remote locking, Multi-airbag system, Electric Adjustable Mirror

Pick it up Wednesday afternoon, must say i will be very sad to see the S3 go! :-(
Will post some pic's when i get the car!

That's a nice spec indeed mate. If the car hasn't got them already get xenons fitted. The light they offer compared to traditional halogens is so much better, and they give off a cool purpley/blue tint on our A4's.

Let the modding begin! :)

golf said:
That's a nice spec indeed mate. If the car hasn't got them already get xenons fitted. The light they offer compared to traditional halogens is so much better, and they give off a cool purpley/blue tint on our A4's.

Let the modding begin! :)

Yes, it has the Xenon's too.. Forgot to add that, result!