Thermostat location? anyone? A4 TDI

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Where is the thermostat located on the B6 A4 TDI 130BHP AWX ENGINE?

Also is it an easy job?

Hi, i changed my thermostat at weekend and is a 20 minute job, if you stand at front of car, look down the right hand side of the engine, which is actually the front of the block as engine is mounted conventionally and not transverse. Look pretty much directly behind alternator and you will be able to trace the rubber hose (bottom hose from radiator) all the way to the block. Life would be made alot easier if you detach intercooler hose and wedge it out of the way, now the dog can see the rabbit! On the end of your bottom hose bolted to the block is a plastic housing with 2 10mm or 13mm bolts, cant remember size but they are there. This housing is directly under/behind alternator. Remove bolts and pull housing out from block, its a little bit fiddly cos theres not much room but its really not difficult. When you pull housing coolant will be lost so you will need some g12 audi coolant to top up. Also out will come your thermostat and rubber o ring which i replaced cos it was only a quid. Put back together same way you took apart, remember to reconnect intercooler pipe, top up coolant and run at idle with your heaters set on warm in the car but not necessarily blowing. So simple, it takes half an hour only have to remove a hose spring clip and 2 x bolts, simple and im not a mechanic. Hope this helps.:rockwoot:

THANKS!! can i also ask why you replaced thermostat?

A little slow to warm up but i think these maybe take a little longer than petrols anyway, the main reason was last week when it was really cold, she would warm a little slow, but i could then travel to work, 13 miles, 10 of which on bypass at 80mph and she would be at normal temp, as soon as i came off bypass into 30mph areas she would cool down 70oC from the normal 90oC. Then after time would eventually warm again, after 13miles it should not cool off at all.!!!!!!:gun2:

Two questions...

1. How much is a new thermostat?
2. Any idea what needs replaced if the thermostat is working correctly (fuel economy normal) but the dash sensor has stopped working...?

Thanks

around 12 quid+vat from Stealers.
temp sensor need replacing first,cost around 20 quid inc. if it still dont work then,ya dash pod/clocks, whay year A4 is it? is it a tdi?

just incase,a brand new instrument cluster from audi will set you back around 400+v.a.t However i do have a brandnew one for sale at 165.00 (on e-bay now)

It's a 2002 / 02 2.5 V6 TDI
Hopefully it's not the dash then :sorry: but I don't think so, since the needle was bouncing around for a few weeks before it went dead entirely!

Don't suppose you know the sensor part number by any chance!?

thats wat happens! mine even worked via vag-com on a full output test,new dash cured it. goodluck