Finally got to use the Autosocks

Macduff

Reaction score
It's a bit snowy up in Aberdeenshire today and unfortunately I had to go out so it was an opportunity to use the Autosocks that have been sitting in my boot for 18 months.

I have to say I'm impressed with the amount of grip they give although I've never driven with chains or snow tyres so can't compare but for the odd occassion that we get snow like that they are good enough.

They are a bit of a pain to put on especially with the amount of wheelarch clearance I have with the Sport suspension. I test fitted chains to our Bora once and they were easier and quicker but the A4 manual says no to chains on 17" wheels and above.

On the whole I'd recommend them to most UK members but if you get more serious snow I think there's probably no substitute for Quattro and winter tyres.

Dave

Out of interest, roughly how much were you for the Autosocks? Wondered about these myself - would it be cheaper to get a set of spare alloys and winter tyres and use these during the winter months?

Light Speed said:
Out of interest, roughly how much were you for the Autosocks? Wondered about these myself - would it be cheaper to get a set of spare alloys and winter tyres and use these during the winter months?

Autosocks were around £75. A cheap set of alloys and winter tyres would have set us back maybe £700. Of course you could use these for many seasons and probably get your money back on the wheels if you sold them again.

I will probably get winter tyres as the problem with socks/chains is that once the roads clear you need to take them off or risk ruining them. This can be a real pain if the snow is patchy