Xenon Headlights - Have or have I not got them?

wigginer

Reaction score
I went into my local 'stealer' a few days ago to talk finance on a new car.

During the discussion they informed me that my car had Xenon Headlights which until now I was not aware of. Afterall, they were not in the basic package or in the options I ordered as new.

How can I check it has Xenons or not?

Are they very bright, and when you turn the headlamps on do they take a little while to warm up ?? Also they should self level test when you first turn them on

Not sure I understand, but thanks for responding:

Bright compared to what?

Warm up time ... compared to what?

Self-level test ... what's this all about? ... Do you get some feedback from the DIS or whatever?

Hate to be an '********' ... but any other info would be appreciated!

when you put the lughts on, doesnt it take a few seconds to blink and a bright white light comes on ?

wigginer said:
I went into my local 'stealer' a few days ago to talk finance on a new car.

During the discussion they informed me that my car had Xenon Headlights which until now I was not aware of. Afterall, they were not in the basic package or in the options I ordered as new.

How can I check it has Xenons or not?

WOW! You had the car how long and you don't know if you've got a £750 factory option?!! ;)

I guess if you really aren't sure then take a look at the light switch, it won't have any adjustment buttons on it if you've got Xenons. Also you will have headlamp washers too.

The lights will perform a self level check when you first turn on the ignition, even if they're switched off. When it's dark turn the headlamps on and then turn the ignition off when you turn the ignition back on the lights will cycle once - up, down and then level.

Here's a pic' of my left Xenon, note the side lamp bulb is a H6W and not the normal W5W or 501.

t_16460_01.jpg

Bubs_S_Line_5_001.sized.jpg

HTH

BUB :beerchug:

rickparmar said:
when you put the lughts on, doesnt it take a few seconds to blink and a bright white light comes on ?

It's more like a bright 'flash' and 1-2 seconds to reach full brightness.

Guys, From what you have described I have definitely not got Xenons ... the dealership must be having a bad day! ... one of many !!!

When I switch my lights on they come on instantly and I have a little switch thingy for adjusting range to the left of my steering wheel.

Thanks

An easier way of checking that everyone missed is... Have you got headlamp wash fitted?

All cars with factory fitted with xenons must, by law, have headlamp wash. So my Audi dealer told me.

bubstar said:
I guess if you really aren't sure then take a look at the light switch, it won't have any adjustment buttons on it if you've got Xenons. Also you will have headlamp washers too.

As said here but seeing as you have manual headlamp adjust, you haven't got Xenon's!

bubstar said:
WOW! You had the car how long and you don't know if you've got a £750 factory option?!! ;)

The lights will perform a self level check when you first turn on the ignition, even if they're switched off. When it's dark turn the headlamps on and then turn the ignition off when you turn the ignition back on the lights will cycle once - up, down and then level.

Here's a pic' of my left Xenon, note the side lamp bulb is a H6W and not the normal W5W or 501.

t_16460_01.jpg

Bubs_S_Line_5_001.sized.jpg

HTH

Why does your Xenon unit look orange?

Thank God, that I've got that sorted I was beginning to get a bit paranoid, having not ordered them in the first place and the dealer turning up with mis-information ... I'll get my coat!

bubstar said:

HTH

are the main/high beam still H7's on the xenons? as i want to change mine.

(have you got any in that pic bub......cant see any)

I'm a bit lost with this. My headlights look identical to Bubs but, I don't have any washer jets!! The reflection from a light surface has a blue tinge at the top. This can be seen when looking into the lights from a distance from the car and low down. I thought only Xenons had blue tints. ??

Marko said:
I'm a bit lost with this. My headlights look identical to Bubs but, I don't have any washer jets!! The reflection from a light surface has a blue tinge at the top. This can be seen when looking into the lights from a distance from the car and low down. I thought only Xenons had blue tints. ??
They might be just Halogen projection lights, you can be sure if you have factory fit Xenons as per previously mentioned washer jets and when you first turn on the lights they are a crisp blue turning to a white light. :)

LandSpeed said:
id say it was the reflection from his indicator

:thumbsup:

Oh aye, I guess, trick photography :p

when driving at night you'd soon know if they were xenons or not...!

Aldo said:
Oh aye, I guess, trick photography :p

It does look strange but just a reflection through the projector lens I guess.......

LandSpeed said:
are the main/high beam still H7's on the xenons? as i want to change mine.

(have you got any in that pic bub......cant see any)

Yes the mains are H7's. I think the bulbs were still standard when that pic was taken. I'm using Osram Silverstars now which are very good but I fancy some of the new Philips X-tremes + 80% and E marked too :)

Here’s what Auto Express had to say about Xtreme Power:

This is so new, we could not randomly select test samples, so can’t include it in our assessment. Yet performance of our pre production unit was staggering. Even compared with the current benchmark Plus per cent bulbs, the difference was immediate and dramatic. Philips claim an 80 per cent improvement over standard units, but we think that this is conservative.

The results have been achieved in the same way as the 30 and 50 per cent lamps-by taking the allowed tolerances right to the edge. This time though as well as reducing the filament and burning it hotter, Philips has shrunk the glass casing.

As a result, the gas pressure can be increased for better light output.Engineers have also optimised the geometry and shield position to focus the light where it is needed.

bubstar said:
Yes the mains are H7's. I think the bulbs were still standard when that pic was taken. I'm using Osram Silverstars now which are very good but I fancy some of the new Philips X-tremes + 80% and E marked too :)

what H6W's do you use bub ?

Im defo going to get the x-tremes for my H7's

LandSpeed said:
what H6W's do you use bub ?

Im defo going to get the x-tremes for my H7's

Philips Blue Vision. Not as good as LED's (Obviously) but much better than stock. I parked next to an S4 at a meet a while back and the owner commented how yellow his side lamps looked compared to mine.

BUB :)

Here's a related question...

It's a real benefit to drive a car with bright headlights, but does everybody else get really p1ssed off with extremely bright lights at night. Typically X5s, Cayennes, TVRs and cars with heavy loads in the back who haven't changed the angle of their lights, or garages that haven't checked / adjusted the lights at MOT or service?

The latest craze up here seems to be driving lights and fog lights. Not cool. Just irritating.

I guess that, rather like illegal number plates, the police either have better things to do or too much paperwork to do to pull over idiots with defective lights.

Personally I reckon the police ought to pull anybody with defective lights or mis-spaced number plates as a matter of course, as those are the vehicles most likely to have dangerous faults, no tax, insurance or undeclared modifications. In short, those people whose vehicles shouldn't be on the road.

Ahh. Rant over. I feel better already. :)

shineydave said:
indeed.

as far as i can see the only purpose of fog lights these days is to warn other motorists that the driver of the offending vehicle is too stupid to operate a light switch

Nice one ... lol

shineydave said:
indeed.

as far as i can see the only purpose of fog lights these days is to warn other motorists that the driver of the offending vehicle is too stupid to operate a light switch

Or... to illuminate the road and kerb in fog.