Sill removal

braddie

Reaction score
Hi Guys, after getting sandwiched by a moron of a bus driver yesterday i need to replace / repair my sill that runs under my door.

I have a 1.8T Cab

After getting a quote to repair the one that's damaged of £175.00 + VAT i thought i'd see the price of a replacement as they are only plastic & was told they are only around £50.00.

So, if i can get mine off myself i would then buy a new part & have that sprayed up, i'd then have a new part (hopefully) for less than the price of a repaired one!!

Open both doors, Take off your Plastic Strip that runs along your Sill, Mine slid and pulled off, Can be a little fiddly, Then you will see some star thread screws, unscrew them, then underneath your sill, unscrew the ones under there, Then turn your front wheel facing out so you can get to the Bolts, think there is 3/4.

Then You might get away without removing the back wheel to remove the other 3 screws inside your wheel arch.pulls off easy enough...

to remove it as per instructions above.

ref price, i had to replace the off side plastic sill on mine and it cost £30 all inc from audi dealers near me, not sure if the price will be the same for a cabriolet though...

Thanks guys, the guy at the body shop is suggesting the sill is held down under the door strip with double sided tape under the door part & taking that piece off will destroy that & will cost another £50 or £60?

Double sided tape??? Why's that??

Are we on about the sill kit or the Door trim that runs along the bottom of your door???Excuse me for coming across duppy!!

Shouldnt have been stuck with Double sided tape..

and if I knew last week, You could of had mine, I took mine off after installing my kit and threw them away..

I know, dont ask!

Hi
This is the full sill that runs the length of the car below the door, once the door is open it looks like there is a rubber cover on top with 2 chrome strips, i'm told that is held in place with double sided tape & no way to remove it without damaging / bending the strips?

Ah Right, The strip im referring to is the 3/4 inch width strip that runs along the top (sounds like its same one your on about still), well they are clipped on in a certain way which your guy is right they do Break if pulled directly off but if you get the edge (from rear door corner first) up (by gentle lifting it with screwdriver) and gentle pull and slide at the same time on an angle,dont try and lift right up as it will snap, yes you will hear some cracking sounds but its possible to remove it without breaking, I did when I first colour coded my sill covers then they clipped back on.

They do bend though and can be sharp underneath so be careful, I cut myself twice doing mine.

When I removed them again to add my Kit, I ended up lightly bonding them on to keep them in place as the slots on the back had broken away some more.