S4 Milltek exhaust

jvbates

Reaction score
Website
www.exit7.co.uk
Guys,

I'm looking at the options for fitting a Milltek exhaust to my forthcoming (I still haven't found the right one yet!) S4, and wanted to canvas opinions about the differences between the full system and the cat back version, in both resonated and non-resonated guises.

I'm not looking for a performance gain as such, really just a better noise, especially when your giving it some! But without being too intrusive at motorway cruising speeds.

My current feeling is the cat back non resonated version? But reading a few threads here seem to suggest it isn't worth it and to go for the full system?

I'd appreciate any advice/opinions?

Non resonated is very loud, and really over the top, and that is coming from someone with a CSL which is regarded as one of the loudest cars out there.

Cat back resonated will give you a nice loud deep growl, with out you looking like a **** everywhere you drive. You will see approx 12bhp increase from this as well, same with the resonated on the increase.

The down pipes will give you a slightly raspier sound, but not much different, and will give you another 10bhp or so, but it is a hell of a lot more money for hardly any difference.

If you are going to remap as well then yeah add the downpipes, remap and cat back can give you another 20-25bhp, where as a remap, catback and downpipes can give as much as 50+bhp when done together.

To sum up, resonated sounds like a V8 should and makes it sound like the V8 engine growling, non resonated sounds false and like a cheap aftermarket exhaust.

All imho of course. ;)

Been looking for this advice myself!

So the remap (say AMD) would be c£800 (Stage 1) which gives approx 15bhp increase, Catback resonated costs c£700? and will give an increase of approx 12bhp, the downpipes then give you an extra 23bhp for approx an extra £1000??

Sorry maybe misunderstood your note.

So sounds like the non resonated catback & Stage 1 remap will give c27bhp increase for c£1500 ? Wow...

Would probably just do the zorst, as it's quite pricey for not much gain...?

its just down to the engine being NA so remaps wont give big gains like turbo cars will

APS do the remap and cat back exhaust for around £1000.

http://www.autops.co.uk/index.html

If you look at each section giving you around 12bhp on their own, but a little more when all combined you won't go far wrong.

Have been trying to get the answer to Miltek resonated or Non resonated
for along time! but it seems that resonated is the way to go!

As for the tunning, i have been looking into a trip to AMD for stage 3 for some time now! £3231.25 according to the website (fitted and inc. VAT)
for an extra 40bhp and 30lbs/ft.

Any one know what sort of power increase the APS remap offers?

See my thread under 'tunning'
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=29838
and check out Scotty's vid on the link its tiptop!

I understand that 'Scotty' and 'Just Plain Old'
are the best people to ask about Stage 3!

Cheers
Keef

The APS remap gives the same sort of power and feel as the AMD map, Ed used to be at AMD.

I think 45-50bhp is more likely for a stage 3, when they used to sell the cars through Listers Audi alreay done, they advertised them at 420bhp, although this was a little optomistic, I think 390-400bhp is expected.

From speaking to people, the best gains seem to be from a cat back system and remap, then a slight gain by adding the downpipes with a slightly raspier sound too.
Considering you can get the first bit done for around £1100 fitted, I would go with this first, then decide if you need the downpipes adding at a later date. I know APS will do a new remap free of charge to take advantage of the new pipes if you add them later, and I presume AMD do too?

Sounds good - think i'll give APS a call.
As for the 'free' new remap after adding the downpipes - i don't know didn't ask AMD.
Have you had your S4 APS'd?

Not yet. Only got it last week.
But may drop Ed a quick mail and ask if he has got the Milltek Cat Back boxes back in stock again. I am going to do this first and then get it remapped when I change insurer next month.

Spoke to Paul at APS earlier today.
Should be paying him a visit in the next couple of weeks for Stage 2 work.

Did he mention if the cat backs were back in stock?

An interesting post came up on audizine, someone who bought the non resonated system and couldn't live with it and then bought the resonated one has now put one of the resonated pipes on, so it is half the volume.

I wish I could hear the difference between non, resonated and split. Would be worth one of us getting resonated and one getting non and having a pipe each. Think it may still be too loud though?

Think you are right - it would still be too loud!!
As for the cat back miltek systems - i got the impression from Paul at APS that they could get em in stock in with about one weeks notice!

Had a note from Ed - the remap (+20bhp & 15ft lbs) is £450 incl VAT fitted - a bargain I'd say.

The Cat Back system is £630 incl VAT.

The full system is £1970, buit if combined with the remap, will be discounted to £2380 fitted, which is pretty good...

Don't think anyone comes anywhere near £450 for the remap fitted (AMD, REVO, MTM, etc)...

Should I, shouldn't I ???

I have negotiated a further £25 discount to the remap for S4 drivers, making it £425 inc VAT & fitting. Takes 4hrs to complete.

Ed Jackson
Partner
Automotive Performance Services

T: +44 01280 840491
ed@autops.co.uk
newsletter@autops.co.uk
www.autops.co.uk

And mention AUDI-SPORT.NET website, to get the extra discount...

Let me know how you get on. Sounds like a really helpful chap...

Ask nicely and you might get a discount on the Milltek too...